Hello folk. AMO

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amo

Junior
Reaction score
During this Corona virus lockdown I have gone from twiddling my thumbs to making my own Sourdough Bread to Fermenting every vegetable and fruit that grows in British Columbia and finally lost it by starting to brew my own wine. I now own most of Amazon and I'm ready to dive into this. I brewed my own beer years ago but never brewed my own wine so I ma hoping I can find a few brave souls who can assist a novice old goat like me.

Last edited:
Welcome! I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. I hate most that I keep going there.

I brew beer too and need to get a red ale and pale ale going; maybe a porter....

last year I tried a mix called thanksgiving which was mostly oriented around butternut squash and cranberries, , , yes you can drink your vegetables
That had to be great! I loved a pumpkin wine I made once (sweet) and cranberry (dry) is equally wonderful. The combination would be perfect. Hmm. Looks like a long winter.

Hi Amo, and welcome. Truth is that wine making can be as simple as adding yeast to supermarket fruit juices (as long as they have no added preservatives to prevent fermentation, to buying lugs of fresh grapes and producing first class varietal wines that you might pay a small fortune for if they were made commercially. Wine making involves less time by the wine maker than brewing demands of the brewer. A brew day might be five or six hours but to make wine from juice or fruit of flowers or honey may require you to spend a few minutes only , or perhaps a few minutes over a few hours (if you need to boil water to dissolve sugars and allow the syrup (or sweetened "tea" ) to cool enough for you to pitch the yeast. But the mantra is true: it's the yeast that make the wine, not the wine maker. The wine maker is like the gardener, making sure that we remove all the stresses and troubles that will diminish the quality of the wine. You start with great ingredients and you end up with great wines - and great ingredients might be dandelions from your yard (makes a wonderful peppery wine) or orange blosssom honey (makes a delicious traditional mead) or juniper berries (with mesquite honey is incredible), or zucchini (makes a surprisingly good white wine)... or wine kits or frozen grapes or .. or ... The world is, as they say, your oyster.

During this Corona virus lockdown I have gone from twiddling my thumbs to making my own Sourdough Bread to Fermenting every vegetable and fruit that grows in British Columbia and finally lost it by starting to brew my own wine. I now own most of Amazon and I'm ready to dive into this. I brewed my own beer years ago but never brewed my own wine so I ma hoping I can find a few brave souls who can assist a novice old goat like me.
Welcome to the forum Amo.................this is alot more fun than twiddling your thumbs! You might want to start with Dragon's Blood. Everyone seems to love it (including me) and it is easy to make, as well as an inexpensive way to dip your toes into the winemaking vat..........................................Dizzy

Welcome! I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. I hate most that I keep going there.

I brew beer too and need to get a red ale and pale ale going; maybe a porter....

That had to be great! I loved a pumpkin wine I made once (sweet) and cranberry (dry) is equally wonderful. The combination would be perfect. Hmm. Looks like a long winter.
I am just about ready to start a pumpkin wine, and I love the idea of including cranberries. Thankyou for your post...............................Dizzy

Welcome to the forum. Winemaking is great fun. There are some active amateur winemaking clubs in BC (google BC Amateur Winemakers Association) They usually win a pile of medals at the national competition.

Latest posts

Back