Hello...first post

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China-Clipper

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to wine making; just started a batch of WineExpert California Pinot Noir from a kit a week ago. I have a local Brew shop that is really great and finally thought I'd try a batch. I'm not a very sophisticated wine drinker, and am trying to learn as much as I can about the whole process. I just transferred my wine to the carboy for secondary fermentation and am really looking forward to having my own home-made wine to drink this Summer.

I see that most people recommend aging the wine at least six months or so; I imagine that means you have to anticipate "lead time" when making seasonal wines and/or in order to have a constant supply of wine to drink on a regular basis. I live in Connecticut and the snow fell last night with temps in the single digits.....I see this wine making as a good hobby to distract me from the cabin fever. Well, just thought I'd say "hi" and look forward to joining the wine-making club!
~Rick

Welcome Rick! This is an awesome place with so many experts to help out! I'm sure you won't look back on drinking too much store bought wine after this! Why wouldn't we want to make better wine than the cheap commercial wine at an even better price? It's been so cold up here where I'm located that I'm glad I have the wine making as a hobby, keeps me busy on days off like today!

Welcome fellow Nutmeger!

There are several other regulars on this site hailing from CT.

As far as aging, I only do kits, I've kinda settled in on 2 months bulk age when the kit says to bottle and then follow with 2 months bottle aging.

Best of luck with your first kit.

Yes you are correct sir! And now you know my secret!! Lol honestly after a few glasses my sox and sweaters come off! It's a good feeling! :)

Here in Connecticut we have what's called the "Wine Trail"

http://www.ctwine.com/

It consists of road signs leading to vineyards and wineries that have wine sampling and tours of their facilities. So far there are 25 on the trail. This summer my wife and I are going to hop on the bike and visit them. Some have live music on Friday nights and you can not only sample the product, but buy direct from the winery. I was surprised at the amount of vineyards here; also surprised the grapes handled the winters w/out dying. (makes me think of doing some planting this spring :h )

Maybe I can learn useful information about making wine, and I can definitely get a better idea of what kind of wine I will enjoy making.

Here in Connecticut we have what's called the "Wine Trail"

http://www.ctwine.com/

It consists of road signs leading to vineyards and wineries that have wine sampling and tours of their facilities. So far there are 25 on the trail. This summer my wife and I are going to hop on the bike and visit them. Some have live music on Friday nights and you can not only sample the product, but buy direct from the winery. I was surprised at the amount of vineyards here; also surprised the grapes handled the winters w/out dying. (makes me think of doing some planting this spring :h )

Maybe I can learn useful information about making wine, and I can definitely get a better idea of what kind of wine I will enjoy making.

That's would make an excellent trip thanks for sharing! I wouldn't mind doing it myself! I can picture CT being a great place for some wine types especially closer to the coastal areas! It's been a long time since I've been there.

Hi Rick. Welcome to WMT. You're going to love drinking wine even more after you get to start drinking your own. As you said, plan ahead. 30 bottles goes pretty fast once you get hooked.

Welcome to WMT, Rick! A bike trip to a Wine Trail would be awesome. May have to be somewhat careful on the way home, though! :ib

As for you, Carolyn:

Yes you are correct sir! And now you know my secret!! Lol honestly after a few glasses my sox and sweaters come off! It's a good feeling! :)

And what happens if we give you a few glasses more? :D

Welcome to WMT, Rick! A bike trip to a Wine Trail would be awesome. May have to be somewhat careful on the way home, though! :ib

As for you, Carolyn:

And what happens if we give you a few glasses more? :D

I'm not telling! But it's usually not that interesting! I fall asleep on the couch lol!

Welcome aboard! There certainly are some great vineyards here in CT. Some great breweries too!

Ta-da! My first batch is done.

Well, here's the first bottle, and the first "tasting" of my first batch of wine I ever made. It's a California Pinot Noir from Winexpert. Tastes great, can't wait for it to "age" a bit.

DSC_0139.jpg

Here's me and the missus and the family pooch, celebrating Valentine's Day with our first taste of my exploits.

DSC_0157.jpg

congrats! And I recommend starting another one right away, that is if you want that one to age before it gets drank:D I'm terrible at letting them age! I recommend Beaujolais as it is an early drinking wine and one of my favorites too!

Latest posts

Back