Hello fellow winemakers.i am from Southern Wis.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What variety of grape do you grow? I enjoy roaming the countryside picking berries for wine but I may to start some vines this next spring..

Hello Vern, I am in the jefferson county area welcome to WMT.
What variety of grape do you grow? I enjoy roaming the countryside picking berries for wine but I may to start some vines this next spring..
I have marquette, petite pearl, verona and Frontenac blanc . 80 vines total. Maybe more in the future.

The soil is rocks,sand with about 6" top soil. I fertilized with 6oz. 17-17-17. The vines are very vigorous. Last fall I had the soil analyzed, found out my vines are planted on a former cow feed lot. No more fertilizer. One more bit of information. I moved these vines using a 42" tree spade. They were 5 years old at the time. I assumed the soil poor. Live and learn. This will be the 3rd year here.

Welcome and do lay off that fertilizer. You don't want vigor. Poor rocky soil makes better grapes. Otherwise you are fighting foliage!

I had a meeting a agronomist to discuss fertility of soil, she indicated that I could apply 1 or 2 lbs. Of nitrogen per acre at bloom to help fruit set. I think it's best to not apply any fertilizers.

Welcome to WMT.
I found myself making weekly trips to WallyWorld a few years back.

,,,, It would be interesting to hear your tricks of the trade, you have about double the number of vines which I have, haven’t put any Verona in but have your other reds and Briana, Edelweiss, Itasca, concord.

Last edited:
Not so sure I have any specific tricks. I may even make things easier for myself. Last fall I picked the grapes, crushed, sulfited and immediately froze. After all three reds were blended I did a standard ferment and a light oaking. I'm no expert but my friends all like this wine . I also have concord, don't make wine but just overeat them. This is a bit off topic, about 10 years ago I found out my grandfather made barrels of concord wine and sold them to bars in Chicago during prohibition. Wine must be our blood.

They look good, do you remember the brix, ta and ph ?
I had Brix at 18, pH @ 3.21, and didn't calculate ta. Started it on 9/15/20. Tasted very tart at first, still does although less pronounced. Did a malolactic fermentation and it's been in about 55 degree room for the last 6 weeks or so. Again, this is my first from fresh grapes so learning a lot from this forum and trial and error.

Back