Hello Everyone! New to grape growing!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared5714

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
My father and I decided that we wanted to start this little project together. Being that we are both very fond of wine and the entire process from soil to bottle. Currently, we have 400 Seyval Blanc vines in the ground beginning in last April. We are now trying to get our trellises up and will begin pruning here in the next week or so to begin training. We began with grow tubes and and bamboo shafts which the vines tendrils attached to. So the vines are already growing pretty upright. This has been an exciting venture and can't wait to see what it brings next. I joined this forum to possibly have a place of reference for when we get stumped by something that comes up. We are pretty new to this and just learning as we go along. The goal however, would be to plant another 200-300 vines in the next year or so, begin making wine as a hobby and possibly a small winery someday. We have a beautiful location here in Southern Illinois. Thanks for reading and look forward to talking with some of you!
Jared

535755_3182897581375_1909816462_n.jpg

544403_3614880940689_577546775_n.jpg

561713_3912217253911_252177655_n.jpg

welcome Jared, I started making wine and fell in love with Zinfandel. This spring I am going to be planting my first eight Zin vines. Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated. I have three concord vines now but have not been able to get any grapes yet. Would be interrested in any info from a fellow Illinois grape grower. Thanks

Back