Hello and Need Help with Carboy Size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghostrider

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings everyone and thank you in advance for any wisdom and insight that you can offer. New to winemaking after a 40 year hiatus. Recently retired from the food and retail industry and decided to get back into winemaking. I've been acquiring equipment and have recently started two 1-gallon kits as a beginning. I'm obtaining additional equipment, working towards a 6 gallon kit that I planning on making soon. Here's the question and quandary, with regards to a 6 gallon carboy, I've found that it holds 6 gallons and 24 ounce when filled into the neck (~2"-2.5" below top). The 6 gallon level is considerably below, leaving a fair amount of "airspace" that I realize would create oxygen issues when racking wine into the carboy. 24 ounces seems to be a considerable amount to "top-off". Is there a true 6 gallon carboy available that I'm just not finding? I do have a Big Mouth 6.5 gallon fermenter to start with, but would like to get a true 6 gallon carboy to use when I rack the wine, especially since most kits are 6 gallons. This would minimize the amount needed to top off. Any insight, suggestions, comments regarding a true 6 gallon carboy will be most welcomed to help me get started correctly. Cheers!

I think almost all of us have the same issues, but it's really even worse since carboy number 1 is over by 24 ounces and carboy number 2 by 30 and carboy number 3 by 22, etc. On the plus side none of the ones I have are under 6 gallons. What do I do about it, I either top up with a like wine or I add extra at the start. I hear that some folks try to make that exact 6 gallons, but I'll add extra tannin, or some extra oak or gum arabic or something to increase the mouthfeel slightly to make up for adding extra water at the start.

And welcome to WMT. Enjoy your time here and ask as many questions as needed to feel comfortable making wine. It's a fun hobby and you can get as deep into the science as you want or just stick at the artisan level whichever makes you happiest, it's your wine.

Thanks cmason1957! I'll be curious to hear more from others if there is a "true 6 gallon carboy". I have definitely been using WMT for information and learning as I'm starting my winemaking journey. Thanks! Cheers!

Hi Ghostrider and welcome to WMT!

From my experience, all my carboys are larger than the stated quantity. I make wine from grapes, not kits, so it has never been something I have considered much - I just fill them up. I guess, as Cmason states, the extra space if making exactly 6 gallons can be used for oak chips or other additions. The only time I factor in the difference is when bottling. I have to have an extra bottle or two more than the stated number of gallons.

Good to hear you are back into winemaking.

Dennis

Welcome! I have an array of carboys in sizes from three to seven gallon. None are "true sized". You can either try CMason's idea or get a five gallon and plan on the excess in a smaller jug or bottles. I also use beer kegs (five gallon, 50 liter and 15,5 gallon) for storage.

It is impossible to look at a carboy and guess how much it is off the stated size. I was racking out of a "five gallon" into another five gallon. I expected by leaving the sediment, I would need to top off the new carboy so I opened a bottle of top off wine to be ready. I didn't need a drop to top off. Go figure.

I'll chime in and agree that carboys vary -- I have eight 19 liter carboys, and no two are exactly the same size.

I have a wide variety of containers from 125 ml up, and use them when necessary. #3 drilled stoppers fit normal wine bottles.

However, it's a LOT easier to top up the carboy, so you've got just 1 container to mess with.

Hi Ghostrider and welcome to WMT!

From my experience, all my carboys are larger than the stated quantity. I make wine from grapes, not kits, so it has never been something I have considered much - I just fill them up. I guess, as Cmason states, the extra space if making exactly 6 gallons can be used for oak chips or other additions. The only time I factor in the difference is when bottling. I have to have an extra bottle or two more than the stated number of gallons.

Good to hear you are back into winemaking.

Dennis
Thanks! Hopefully I can work towards fresh grapes in the future. Thanks!

Welcome! I have an array of carboys in sizes from three to seven gallon. None are "true sized". You can either try CMason's idea or get a five gallon and plan on the excess in a smaller jug or bottles. I also use beer kegs (five gallon, 50 liter and 15,5 gallon) for storage.

It is impossible to look at a carboy and guess how much it is off the stated size. I was racking out of a "five gallon" into another five gallon. I expected by leaving the sediment, I would need to top off the new carboy so I opened a bottle of top off wine to be ready. I didn't need a drop to top off. Go figure.
Thanks, I’m beginning to collect a selection of different size carboys!

I'll chime in and agree that carboys vary -- I have eight 19 liter carboys, and no two are exactly the same size.

I have a wide variety of containers from 125 ml up, and use them when necessary. #3 drilled stoppers fit normal wine bottles.

However, it's a LOT easier to top up the carboy, so you've got just 1 container to mess with.
I’m starting to see that I will need a variety of sizes handy and just go with it. Thanks!

Welcome to wine making talk from another part of the food industry.
D3CE81DC-8154-403E-BF03-A9521D74AC81.jpeg
I have a variety, some of which are six gallon and some of which are six and a half. Normal with new is that I weigh empty marking the carboy and add some volume markings as 1, 1.5 gallon. I try to size the batch for a 6.5 and rack to a 6.0 and next rack down adding something inert as the LDPE rods with SS weights in the photo to fill 400ml or so empty volume.
Volumes are a problem. Some batches I have intentionally run to a calculated 14% ABV and then top off with water at racking to get the target 11 to 12% ABV.
Last year I tried a bag in box as a “flexible volume“ carboy, It can work. You are welcome to invent a solution for all.

Latest posts

Back