hello all

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wade... thats a question i have... do i air lock the little hole on the primary lid???? anybody? thanks. everything seems fit with a bit of space left over.

hardcore:

personally I just would just cover the hole with a clean towel or something. I don't air-lock my primaries.

Other folks would put a bung and air-lock in the hole.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't make much difference.

Steve

Steve thanks for the info...
My winery is my kitchen. I also have a cat. I'm afraid of foreign matter finding its way in the primary. Should I secure a cloth with tape over the hole?
J.

I started a thread "My first Merlot" in the beginners section for further info as to not beat on the intro section...

Steve thanks for the info...
My winery is my kitchen. I also have a cat. I'm afraid of foreign matter finding its way in the primary. Should I secure a cloth with tape over the hole?
J.
Let's see now. Winery in the kitchen. TWO cats wandering around the house. Sounds like how we started wine making. A friend still has the same situation. Not sure what he's doing these days (everything was in carboy last time I was there), but he used to use a clean garbage bag and a bungee cord and position the primary so the cats couln't get on top of it.

Steve

I have made around 100 kits and every 1 of them has had a lid snapped shut with airlock attached and never ad a problem. Once it starts fermenting I open it every 2 days and give it a good stir to aerate the batch as the yeast do need 02 at this point. I rack to carbo according ti instuctions with kits. When making a fruit wine I do the same except once it starts fermemting I punch down the cap twice daily and rack after 7-10 days and remove the fruit.

thanks wade
I'm noticing tiny air bubbles in the air lock. also barely touched the lid and the air lock burped. Are those signs that the process has begun? Also, how vigorously are you stirring the must (30seconds/every two days)? I picked up a stirring drill attachment. Should I be using this for that type of "aeration"? I'm on the verge of obsession and loving it!

Thats about righ, 30 seconds very 2 days. Just use a big anitized spoon for this, its easier to clean and you dont need to beat your wine right now.

Latest posts

Back