Hello All from NE PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamMan824

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been reading allot of the posts on the site and there is quite a bit of great information. I'm not new to wine and have a nice little wine cellar that holds about 400 bottles with plenty of room for expansion. I have some friends in the area that make allot of Dago Red but it is only around for a short time. I’m a huge red zinfandel and cabernet fan. Some of my favorites that I keep stocked are Seven Deadly Zin’s, most Earthquake products, Mondovi Oakville, Stags Leap, Cakebread ect.. I have a hard time finding a decent bottle of wine under the $30.00 range that satisfies my palate. Now I’ve decided to try to make a decent wine that I could drink daily and not spend a fortune on. I cook allot and everything is from scratch including my Ravioli and Pasta dishes, once you get used to homemade pastas, store bought just doesn’t do it anymore. I’d love to be able to make a few great reds and whites that will be enjoyed at dinner parties or just backyard sitting around the fire with a glass of wine gatherings.

I’m hoping that with the help of this forum I’ll be able to accomplish my goals. I’ve purchased everything I need to make several wines at one time and have ordered the Buon Vino Table Top Fill Jet. I’ve started 2 Primary’s on Friday from RJ Spagnols Grand Cru, one being the Cabernet and the other a Malbec. (I added a little extra oak) I have ordered a few Red Zins that will be here next week. One being the Cellar Classic Old Vine Zinfandel the second being the Cru Select Old Vine Zinfandel and the third being Wine Expert Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel. Any and all help in finding the right kits, juice and information to make what I’m looking for would be appreciated. I’m a newbie here and will be hitting up the pro’s with questions…..

Thanks in advance,

JamMan824 :>

Welcome JamMan, Knowing what you like in a red wine you are going to be dissapointed with your first wine and will probably only use that for cooking with as the small kits (10 liter of juice and smaller) will usually produce a very thin wine with little body. I will tell you that after these kits you have going and on order to try a grape skin kit as it will produce a much bigger bodied wine. Kits such as the RJS En Primieur, Cellar Classic Winery Series, Cellar Craft Showcase Edition, and kits like that. Im not to fond of many Wiexpert kits at all but the Selection Crushendo do produce some good wines also but seem to take a little longer to come around as earlier tastings will seem to have a sort of candy taste until they really age mature. The Mosti Mondiale All juice kits produce a pretty good wine and then there is the Masters edidion and Meglioli which produce damn good wines but are also a little pricey in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up

Wade,

Thank you for the information looks like I’ll be making a little more red wine sauce than expected. I’ll keep the Cellar Classic from RJ as it has the skins and start hunting around for a better quality kits. I found a place called Northern Brewers that carries the Mosti Mondiale AllJuice Sterile Must Wine Kits. They are not that bad price wise and if I could get a decent wine I’ll be happy. I’m more interested in making a good homemade wine that I could enjoy. I just seem to enjoy something that is made at home. We make our own Sopersata, Lonza and Sausage. I’m just missing out on making a good wine to go with it all.

Thanks for the heads up on this,

JamMan824

Wade,

I was viewing that forum earlier, and had the pleasure of seeing Smurfe make up a must in the tutorials. I also copied your Chocolate Strawberry Port recipe which looks like it would light up any gathering…… I like a good port, just ordered a case of a nice 10 yr old tawny. An associate gave me 2 bottles and it was a hit at a dinner party, but the chocolate strawberry sounds phenomenal.

I see they have quite a collection of different items on that site, I’ll put an order in next week with them. I know I wont be able to imitate what I like I just want to come as close as I can. If I could come close I’ll be a happy camper.

JamMan824

Welcome,
Where in NE PA are you. there is a real good Home brew / wine store in Clifton NJ I believe. Its worth the trip If you are kinda close.

The RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series that you bought with the grape skins will produce a wine that will be close but will need the aging tim e of around a year.

Welcome,
Where in NE PA are you. there is a real good Home brew / wine store in Clifton NJ I believe. Its worth the trip If you are kinda close.

Tom, I'm in the Wilkes Barre/ Scranton area. I know people out by Clifton NJ. It's not a bad hike from where I'm at.

JamMan824

The RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series that you bought with the grape skins will produce a wine that will be close but will need the aging tim e of around a year.

Wade,

I called this am and orderd 3 from the RJS Cellar Classic and I'm going to try the WE Old Vine a shot as well and add a little extra oak and age it longer as well

JamMan824

Did you get the Winery Series as those are the ones with the grape packs and I have almost everyone with the exception of a few where I went to the En Primeur which is even just a tad beter but not much at all and for the tiny difference Ive noticed not worth the extra $.

Waves hello and welcome..

sounds like you'll be building a larger cellar shortly!

Allie

I did get the ones with the grape skin packs, I should have them by Thursday. I'm like a little kid in a candy store now hunting for my favorite flavor......

Hello St Allie

Waves hello and welcome..

sounds like you'll be building a larger cellar shortly!

Allie

I've ordered 3 more commercial racks and have plenty of room for expansion; my home was built in the early 1900's and the cellar has the thick stone walls with a plaster coat on them. I’ve converted an old coal storage room for my wine cellar, it's a constant 55 to 65 degrees dependent of the season I’m contemplating shot blasting the walls and shooting them with gunite so not to have any issues down the road. It’s better to be safe than sorry….. I like the old world look of the stone though with the faded plaster … it reminds you of an old ratskeller

Welcome aboard. Glad my tutorial was able to help you. One thing to remember though, those directions are for a Wine Expert kit. Your RLS kits may vary in directions. Not a real big deal though. I make Mosti kits pretty well the same as WE kits and the direction there are different as well. Never had an issue yet. Good luck with those kits and look forward to reading your posts.

Smurfe,
Thanks for the welcoming, one thing I’m big on is reading. I followed the directions and all is well the two primary fermentations I have going. I’m starting 3 more this week and I shouldn’t have any issues. I’ll be doing a lot of bulk ageing so my goal is to get two to three going every week for about 10 or 12 weeks and then drop to every other week. By next year I’ll be a sauced happy camper.

JamMan824

“Buon vino è come buon sesso, non si potrebbe avere mai abbastanza”

Oh you're hooked again!! Misery loves company!!
The place in Clifton is Corrado's. They only carry RJ Spagnols and very limited at that, but they do have a large selection of supplies. Also a good source for fresh grapes.
There's a place called Vintners Circle in Easton, PA and in Hackettstown, NJ. They carry a good selection of RJ Spagnols and Winexpert kits as well as some very unique bottles.
I agree with the other guys with George at Fine Vine Wines, great selection and remarkable service.
Have Fun,
Dave

Oh you're hooked again!! Misery loves company!!
The place in Clifton is Corrado's. They only carry RJ Spagnols and very limited at that, but they do have a large selection of supplies. Also a good source for fresh grapes.
There's a place called Vintners Circle in Easton, PA and in Hackettstown, NJ. They carry a good selection of RJ Spagnols and Winexpert kits as well as some very unique bottles.
I agree with the other guys with George at Fine Vine Wines, great selection and remarkable service.
Have Fun,
Dave

Hello Dave and welcome to our forum

Allie

Thanks Allie, glad to be here!! I've always wanted to go to New Zealand, it's so beatifull there. Do the Hobbits still live there???!!!!

I currently have a Cellar Unit that hold 250 bottles and it is completely full, and I have 70 gallons bulk aging and 9 kits waiting to go, so I just ordered another Unit to hold 500 bottles. AM I HOOKED??!! :r

Thanks Allie, glad to be here!! I've always wanted to go to New Zealand, it's so beatifull there. Do the Hobbits still live there???!!!!

I currently have a Cellar Unit that hold 250 bottles and it is completely full, and I have 70 gallons bulk aging and 9 kits waiting to go, so I just ordered another Unit to hold 500 bottles. AM I HOOKED??!! :r

hehehe yes you are hooked. My cellar is about the same size as yours, however I have 30 gallons bulk aging and 30 gallons fermenting. Also looking to buy more storage..

( you know hobbits aren't really real.. right?)

Allie...;)

Latest posts

Back