hello again,newbie needs advice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter8

Junior
Reaction score
hi everyone.you may remember me from earlier in the year. i started a batch of strawberry wine.and one with mint leaves.i have had a crazy crazy year(i won't bother you with the details.)anyway the wine has been sitting here.i never even got to rack the mint stuff.the strawberry was racked but i never stabalized it.and i will need to add an F-pack to it.
so i need some direction.i believe i should rack and taste the mint stuff.and put campden tablets in both wines.then add the F-pack to the strawberry.and then i could begin bottling.am i wrong on any of this?
thanx for any info.hopefully i can save these.

Before adding sweeteners be sure to stabilize with sorbate along with sulfite to avoid refermentation.

I would also let it sit for a week or so after you sweeten it to make sure that it doesn't referment. That way you avoid the blown corks.

How long has it been without sulfites? Hopefully not too long. Does it still taste good and have good color?

For reference only.

linky

Because these are meant for particular wines, they only apply loosely, but here is a link to some kit instructions. If you are totally confused about what to do, you could possibly use some of these to develop a plan for your particular case.

I'm posting this, because I know this would have helped me in a similar situation I had not so long ago, but I have very limited experience and would hope to hear comments from more experienced winemakers about this strategy before commiting to it.

the strawberry was pressed and moved to secondary on 6/6/09 and racked a month later.never stabalized.the mint was pressed and moved to secondary on 6/30/09.today i'm going to taste them. if that goes ok i'll add campden tablets to stabalize them.

Camden will not stabilize them. Potassium sorbate must also be added in conjunction with camden using 1/2tsp/gal.

Yep, first sulfite them with 1 campden tablet per gallon and then add sorbate (usually 1/2 tsp per gallon) to your wine or you will have fermentation all over again. You could also use strawberry syrup to sweeten and flavor uyour wine. Just find one that is all natural and tastes good.

just a question, wont the yeast stop reacting due to the alcohol content itself? my previous batch, my second, i just bottled it without anything and it seems to be holding fine. :)

just a question, wont the yeast stop reacting due to the alcohol content itself? my previous batch, my second, i just bottled it without anything and it seems to be holding fine. :)
I can think of bottle BOMBS. Also if you bottled rightt after primary you will not have a great wine.
Tell us what you did before you make such a statment
Recipe, when you started, when you bottled, what you did inbetween.

Some yeats strains will go up to or even beyond 18% if given the right circumsatances. If you didnt sweeten the first batch then sorbate wasnt required although sorbate does have anti microbial properties so it is in the best benefit for you to use it anyway!

Brother Blade, please wear a hard helmet when approaching this wine. Others have commented just how high a bottle can fly!!!!!

Brother Blade, please wear a hard helmet when approaching this wine. Others have commented just how high a bottle can fly!!!!!

Can't help but seeing Slim Pickins riding that A bomb outta the bomb bay of the B52 in Dr. Strangelove. YeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Latest posts

Back