Heavy sediment before fermentation???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstnh1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a WE California Chardonnay (Selection) yesterday. Followed the instructions, as usual. Today there's close to 2 inches of fluffy sediment on the bottom of the Fermonster I'm using for primary. For years I have kept the must temp up by setting the carboys in a wash tub filled with water heated with an aquarium heater. So I've never really been able to see the bottom of the Fermonster, carboys, etc. while they're sitting in the water. This year I decided to make things a bit easier and use a carboy heater, so I can now see everything in the carboy. My question is this: Is it normal to have a thick blanket of sediment even before fermentation is underway? The only thing that's been added to the must is a couple of packets of oak powder, the Bentonite and the yeast.

I plan on stirring once fermentation starts. With my carboys in the wash tub before, I just never noticed sediment during this stage. Heck, there's much more sediment there now than what's usually there at the first racking. And the color of this kit at this stage is nothing like all the other chards I've made. Even before I added the oak it seemed very dark for chardonnay.chard 5-19.jpg

I plan on stirring once fermentation starts. With my carboys in the wash tub before, I just never noticed sediment during this stage. Heck, there's much more sediment there now than what's usually there at the first racking. And the color of this kit at this stage is nothing like all the other chards I've made. Even before I added the oak it seemed very dark for chardonnay.View attachment 54743

Looks like the bentonite 30g is the Norm for these kits now which is quite a lot and maybe yeast, what’s the date code on the kit? It does look dark I’m guessing it was old stock.

Looks like the bentonite 30g is the Norm for these kits now which is quite a lot and maybe yeast, what’s the date code on the kit? It does look dark I’m guessing it was old stock.
It's not that old - the date is 10/4/18. It's started fermenting and that looks normal. The dark color may be from the oak. The kit had two 30g packets of oak powder and it was really fine stuff. Whatever it it, if it settles out it should be OK.

Latest posts

Back