Heaters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicP

Junior
Reaction score
I have a couple of immersible heater that I used to use on fish tank. If cleaned and sterilised could they be used for controlling temp whilst fermenting in cold weather

I have a couple of immersible heater that I used to use on fish tank. If cleaned and sterilised could they be used for controlling temp whilst fermenting in cold weather

If they are plug in, give off heat, never stop, then they might not be a good idea to use. If you can set an on/off temp, then sure, why not. Be sure to check your yeast temperature requirements, most of them will go down to pretty cold without a problem (like 59 F).

If they are plug in, give off heat, never stop, then they might not be a good idea to use. If you can set an on/off temp, then sure, why not. Be sure to check your yeast temperature requirements, most of them will go down to pretty cold without a problem (like 59 F).
Thank you for your reply you can set a temp on them and they will automatically come on and off so I should imagine they will be ok to use on cold winter days.

Be careful with the material of the heater and cord. Such heaters are not designed to be used at wine pH and may dissolve enough metal into the wine to be toxic or just not be food safe.

I've been using aquarium heaters for decades with no ill effects.
I've been using an aquarium heater for years as well. Only thing I do (differently than what's been discussed) is to partially submerge my fermentation buckets in a water bath (I use an old kiddie pool). I then heat the bath water with the aquarium heater. Works like a charm! I'm been able to easily maintain my desired fermentation temperature through the entire process and no worries about the aquarium heater ruining my wine. 🙂

Any aquarium heater will work. Tropical fish thrive at the same temperatures as yeast. Most heaters are preset at 76 degrees or you can buy one that you can set yourself.

I never snap down the lid during fermentation. I loosely place the lid on the fermenter and cover it with a towel. There's no need for it to be sealed when actively fermenting. The co2 being produced will protect the wine from spoilage.

May I ask what kind of fish heater or model? And how do you seal the fermenting container with the cord coming out?

You can also get heat bands made to work with carboys or buckets. Personally I prefer a Fermonster, at least 1 gallon larger than your juice quantity. The lid can be sealed, the airlock will let you know when the fermentation has started to slow. I control the heat bands with a simple lamp timer, typically set for 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off, but this will depend on your room temperature, and watch you don’t cook your must, know what the max temp is for your yeast. Yes, the CO2 formation will protect, but a non-sealing lid means your protection will end possibly without you knowing it.

Yes, the CO2 formation will protect, but a non-sealing lid means your protection will end possibly without you knowing it.

I have made 100's of batches this way over decades with no ill effects

I had considered aquarium heater but safety plus other concerns kept me from doing so. My solution was to get a couple of sheets of rigid foam insulation to make an incubator box which can readily be heated with a couple of 100 watt light bulbs (I used three ceramic sockets mounted on a peace of plywood) using an Inkbird thermostat to control temperature keeping it within a degree or two. Use Duck tape to put the box together with a lift-able hinged front panel for access. Simple to take apart after fermentation complete for easy storage until next season. Had one for white and one for red grapes sized to accept my fermenters which were wheeled in/out on moving dollies.

@montanarick This sounds like a simple solution. Do you use the Inkbird to monitor the temperature of the air in the box or the wine?

What part of Montana are you in? I have family in the Kalispell area.

I had considered aquarium heater but safety plus other concerns kept me from doing so. My solution was to get a couple of sheets of rigid foam insulation to make an incubator box which can readily be heated with a couple of 100 watt light bulbs (I used three ceramic sockets mounted on a peace of plywood) using an Inkbird thermostat to control temperature keeping it within a degree or two. Use Duck tape to put the box together with a lift-able hinged front panel for access. Simple to take apart after fermentation complete for easy storage until next season. Had one for white and one for red grapes sized to accept my fermenters which were wheeled in/out on moving dollies.
what kind of chicks are you hatching in that incubator ? ,,,,,lol ,,,,, I might be interested in some, last month my mom's dog got in and killed all but 4 or 5'' outa 52 laying hens and 4 rosters,, i am the oldest , the brother next to me almost went to blows, i don't dicarbamate. my dog any bodies dog, i catch them in mt chicken pen, well , it is a religious experience for them,
Dawg

If they do not go on and off you can attache them to a standard light timer. Figure out what intervals work for the temp you want. When I set up my electric blanket I use 4 hrs on 4 off and keeps my wines at about 68

@montanarick This sounds like a simple solution. Do you use the Inkbird to monitor the temperature of the air in the box or the wine?

What part of Montana are you in? I have family in the Kalispell area.
Set the Inkbird inside box. Our vineyard was in Somers. Unfortunately sold it last year and now have townhouse in Kalispell but spending winter this year in NC

Latest posts

Back