Heat Shink Foils ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larlad

Junior
Reaction score
What is the best way to get the heat shrink foils to work, I tried a couple and the result was wrinkles ect ect...was trying to get a better look.

I dip the neck of the bottle in boiling water using a slotted spoon to hold the shrink in place while the bottle is upside down. Thru trial and error I have found that if I do quick dunk i get more ripples. If I slowly submerse the bottle I get a wrinke free shrink. With practice I am becomming a fan of the boiling water method.

I've read that hair driers do not get hot enough. I have heat gun burried somewhere in the garage that I will try when I stumble upon it.

I will try that today, that is after my wife gets done making the Wild Blueberry Pie she is working on right now! I will work on that during the super bowl tomorrow. Sounds like a plan , I will try your method. If this works, my bottle , colour, and label my turn out better then my first try at wine making with the wild blueberries we got in the UP last summer.
TNX Greg--

Dang. I want some blue berries. Wife just looked at frozen at sam's and GFS. She called me about them and then didn't get them.:slp

Have a couple colors on-hand, but anyone willing to share some cheap sources?

Have four batches going right now and when I do end up bottling wouldn't mind having some variety to prevent confusion....

A heat gun (not a hairdryer) set on low also works very well.

I agree with Mike on this. Use a spoon or something to hold it down while heating it starting from the top.

Have a couple colors on-hand, but anyone willing to share some cheap sources?
Have four batches going right now and when I do end up bottling wouldn't mind having some variety to prevent confusion....

I agree. I keep a large tote of all different colors. Makes it easier after putting the label on to select a color. Try looking at Presque Isle. I usually pay about 0.055 each when I buy a hundred or more of each color. When you buy in the packages of 30 you end up paying up to 0.10 each or more. Just remember if you do mail order, you might as well get any chemicals and anything else you need at the same time (the shipping won't barely cost anymore).

Use the heat gun. It msy make wrinkles, but it will also flatten them out.

Im a fan of boiling water also. I have the plastic tool that holds the heat shink caps in place, and they come out perfect. Like JordenPond said, slowly submerse the shink cap in boiling water. Plus that plastic device is great for opening the cap on your wine kits.

I use a heat gun/tool used for crafting. Slowly heating the wrap as you turn the bottle eliminates wrinkles. Works fast with good results.

I use the heat gun and a spoon to hold it down also. Hold your heat gun up and point it down and start from the top down and you won;t have any problems and you don't get water in your cap either. Heat gun on sale at Harbor freight. $7.00 ish..

I use the heat gun and a spoon to hold it down also. Hold your heat gun up and point it down and start from the top down and you won;t have any problems and you don't get water in your cap either. Heat gun on sale at Harbor freight. $7.00 ish..

Brian,

FWIW, I buy from HF a lot but after reading the customer reviews on the cheapest heat gun they offer, it looks like a real dice roll. A lot of switch failures after a short time while only doing light duty. Others rave about it. Also, it's priced at $12.99 + shipping. So I did some Googling and wound up order a heat gun with a kit for $25 from Northern Tool, plus free shipping.

When you shrink your caps, do you aim at the top first without the spoon to shrink the top part and then hold it down with the spoon while doing the rest?

Cheers!

Bob

I have had great luck with a tea kettle and steam. I am nervous about using my heat gun and cracking a bottle.

I use a heat gun also and have had great success... I keep nice selection on hand and pick color after labels are on...good luck Zoogie

Brian,

FWIW, I buy from HF a lot but after reading the customer reviews on the cheapest heat gun they offer, it looks like a real dice roll. A lot of switch failures after a short time while only doing light duty. Others rave about it. Also, it's priced at $12.99 + shipping. So I did some Googling and wound up order a heat gun with a kit for $25 from Northern Tool, plus free shipping.

When you shrink your caps, do you aim at the top first without the spoon to shrink the top part and then hold it down with the spoon while doing the rest?

Cheers!

Bob

Bob I have had the heat gun for about a year and have had no issues with it. I have a harbor freight (actually a couple) within driving distance so I don't pay shipping. But I know there can be issues with HF items. So buyer beware..
As far as how I do it.. I put the spoon on the top and then apply the heat from the top down. If I get little wrinkles the gun takes them right out. I have learned to be careful around the pul strips on the caps because to much heat and there will be a little hole.. These are just my opinions..

Heat gun user here too. Usually use the high setting and keepthe gun moving. Just a few seconds and you are done. If you get wrinkles, go back and warm it a little more and they will disappear. At least they have for me. I use a cheapo heat gun. Don't remember if harbor freight, but think about 10 bucks or so. Arne.

I also use the heat gun, low setting & keep it moving. Never any wrinkles. Simple & fast! Too much heat will produce holes & melt the shrinks.
Al

I spent the extra money and do it the easiest and fastest way it it comes out perfect everytime. I believe most of our advertisers in the banners above carry this if your interested. It literally takes a second to do it and Runningwolf has a video here somewhere but I can never seem to find it. Next time I find it Ill have him make a Tutorial with it.
HorzCapsular.jpg

I spent the extra money and do it the easiest and fastest way it it comes out perfect everytime. I believe most of our advertisers in the banners above carry this if your interested. It literally takes a second to do it and Runningwolf has a video here somewhere but I can never seem to find it. Next time I find it Ill have him make a Tutorial with it.
HorzCapsular.jpg

Hard to justify the close to $200 for a thermocapsular machine when I am still trying to save money to purchase a pump from Wade.

I use a heat gun from the craft store @10-12 bucks. I got the nack down pretty good now. I was looking at the thermonuclear heat shrink device the other day and saw there are replacement coils/elements for the thing @50 bucks. I started wondering if I could mount that on a wooden handle amd make the thing more mobile.

Line the bottles up with the foils on them and just go down the line lowering the want down and up quick on the neck of the bottles. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back