Heat Gun and Shrink Caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a Newbie here so I am just asking a question. Has anyone ever tried just using the steam from a teakettle? I have used it a couple of times and didn't get wrinkles. You also have theadvantage of not having to turn the bottles upside down.

Steam will work fine, but you still need to be near sea level or the steam will not be hot enough. I use the boiling water because I can shrink a cap in about two seconds. Any condensation on the bottle helps when I wipe it down with a paper towel.

One more vote for using a heat gun. I bought a cheap made in China heat gun on eBay for about $10.

My gun has two heat settings (high and low). I use the low setting and it works great. Takes no more then 5 seconds to shrink the cap on the bottle.

If you can find a electric kettle without an automatic shut off, the steam from it is very fast and the caps are smooth. Unfortunatly my kettle gave up and I am having trouble finding a replacement. You can place a non electric on the stove and it works just fine. no dipping in boiling water.

At different times, I have tried a hair dryer, boiling water and a heat gun to shrink heat-shrink capsules without wrinkles. I've found that a heat gun works best. I have an older Steinel HL-1500 that takes about 2 seconds on the high setting and results in a near-perfectly shrunk capsule when held directly, at about a 6" - 8" height, over the top of the bottle and capsule.

I've been using the boiling water method with good results, but get tired of carrying the bottles upstairs to the kitchen, then back downstairs to store it. So this weekend I went and bought a heat gun at Lowe's. Porter Cable 1500w for $39.00 (there were cheaper ones, but this one has a knob to vary the temperature through its full range).

Turns out that it works excellent, and just as well as the boiling water, with no mess and no carrying the bottles up and down the stairs. I had tried a hair dryer when I first started the hobby, and thought it would be the same as a heat gun. Boy was I wrong about that.

I'm now a convert; no more boiling water for the capsules!

Sorry to revive an old thread, But I just picked up a 1500 watt, dual temp heat gun at Harbor Freight today for $9.99. Great deal IMO.

7000 feet only affects you if you are debating. Thats the excuse most heard.

I use a heat gun at middle range. I wrap a wire thru the top loop and hang it from a cabinet door handle. That way I can move the bottle around, in and out or up and down while holding the top of the foil in place. Haven't burnt myself yet.

We try to get them to look perfect, then we rip them off. That doesn't sound right does it?

That is the one I bought, you will get the better cyber Monday deal today.

thanks Tom, I called a local harbor freight store and that heat gun is $7.95 (as advertised on their web) but the lady said I need a coupon, but I don't get their coupon book...grr

I also use the boiling water method. I put enough water in the sauce pan to cover the caps by about 1/2", then bring the water to a boil, submerse the cap down far enough to cover the cap, count to 6 and pull them out. If they stay in longer, the cap shrinks a little too much and starts to gap open at the pull tab.

WOW this is a pretty old thread that keeps popping. I can tell you since I made my first post on this thread several years ago, I have tried the boiling water method. I'll never knock it again. It worked perfect and was not messy at all.

It is more labor intensive from set up to clean up, but it works fine.

I love the boiling water method. I keep enough in the pot to submerge the foil and simply keep it in the water for about three seconds. I like the added bonus of a little steam and water getting on the bottles, as this is the final "cleaning" I do to them prior to labeling.

Back