Health issues with SO2 sanitizing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
I clean equipment right after use and store most of it in DIY airtight containers. To keep everything sanitized and ready to use including corks, I add K-meta to generate SO2 in the container. When opening and working with the containers I get the expected heavy odors but I've never had any health issues. Today I've been reading about regulations on SO2 use in wineries in California and am wondering about issues. Is it necessary to wear protective equipment when using SO2? Is there some level I should be careful to avoid?

That’s a great question. My protection is holding my face away. If my lungs start to burn I’ll pull my shirt over my face. Once while exposed for an extended amount of time my nose started bleeding followed by an unbearable headache. Initially I didn’t even notice the smell after a couple mins but my wife said the whole room was filled and couldn’t bear it. But other than that isolated incident I never noticed any effects linger beyond a minute or so.

If I was an employee this would definitely not be cool. Ive never looked into it, but I naturally assumed OSHA required a level of protection for state compliant wineries. I have my OSHA-30 cert and they require respirators for things a helluva lot weaker than so2.
I’m sure prolonged exposure over time can have negative consequences, but I was never concerned with my limited use as a hobbyist. I just accepted that the high concentrations when mixing new or sanitizing bottles can become uncomfortable.
I’ll mix enough for 1 gal in a measuring cup till dissolved, add to my 1gal jug, then fill the jug. Workin construction ya tend to get used to various strong odors, but those so2 fumes from mixing and filling with piping hot water can hit like a punch to the face. Also, kmeta on a fresh cut is brutal.
So, the question “is protection necessary?” I guess depends on your definition of “necessary” 🤷‍♂️

AJ, thanks for the response, abbreviated here. My definition of necessary is I'd like to outlive the wine.
Same as mine! I’ve never read of any concerns over the so2 fumes other than experiencing some discomfort. If it was detrimental to our health I feel like I would have seen it mentioned. Although I’m sure there are extreme circumstances i haven’t heard any safety protocols mentioned other then ventilation.

im positive you will receive informative feedback here. And I’ll be reading right along.

Same as mine! I’ve never read of any concerns over the so2 fumes other than experiencing some discomfort. If it was detrimental to our health I feel like I would have seen it mentioned. Although I’m sure there are extreme circumstances i haven’t heard any safety protocols mentioned other then ventilation.

im positive you will receive informative feedback here. And I’ll be reading right along.
I was diagnosed with a serious lung issue last year. ( eosinophilic pneumonia ) Now when working with K Meta I use a face mast that Looks like The N 95 but this one is treated to filter out chemicals Too, purchased them at Lowe’s. Very reasonable. Not sure it’s making a difference but not taking chances. Roy

You shouldn't have to bathe in SO2 to make wine, rinsing out a carboy or tank I get the occasional face punch, but for the most part it is kept to a minimum by dumping with running water and ventilation etc. If SO2 becomes a problem for you there are alternative sanitizers that don't contain SO2.

SO2 is also corrosive to many materials including vinyl hoses and stainless steel, so storage of incompatible equipment in a wet SO2 atmosphere is not recommended. I personally don't store anything long term wet with SO2.

You do know SO2 is toxic.
I add K-meta to generate SO2 in the container. When opening and working with the containers I get the expected heavy odors but . . . . . . Is there some level I should be careful to avoid?
Any level which causes coughing should be avoided, expect that the effect is cumulative much the same as cigarette smoke is, specific for 2020 covid19 causes lung damage and one of the lasting effects many hospitalized folks see is shortness of breath

I clean equipment right after use and store most of it in DIY airtight containers. To keep everything sanitized and ready to use including corks, I add K-meta to generate SO2 in the container. When opening and working with the containers I get the expected heavy odors but I've never had any health issues. Today I've been reading about regulations on SO2 use in wineries in California and am wondering about issues. Is it necessary to wear protective equipment when using SO2? Is there some level I should be careful to avoid?

I work in the Environmental, Health, and Safety field and I deal with many industrial hygiene issues and SO2 is no different. First always look at the SDS for this information. Currently there is no federal OSHA standard for permissible exposure levels. There are NIOSH recommended exposure levels (2 ppm REL and 5 ppm STEL) and ACGIH threshold limit values (.25 ppm STEL). I trust both the NIOSH and ACGIH levels as usually the science is further along than the law (OSHA). PEL is the upper limit , in ppm or mg/m3), that a person working for a business can be exposed to for 8 hours time weighted. STEL short term exposure limit and is the upper 15 minute value. The difference in NIOSH and ACGIH is very easy; ACGIH is the KNOWN limit for dosage that nothing adverse will happen to you and NIOSH is the limit where there is a very good chance nothing will happen to you.

For your home winery I can’t tell you if you’re above the exposure limit as the variables would be air exchanges, fresh air flow, room size, time, and chemical present. In terms of removing hazards and risks then start with removing the hazard, substitution (stated in prior posts), then ventilation is king where more fresh air in your room and less chemical will be very helpful. Outdoors is always best. I can tell you though, that if you’re worried at all then an Organic Vapor filtered mask would be a possibility, but if it is N95 style it would need to be fit tested appropriately as they are extremely finicky on how they fit each individual person.

Also, for anyone don’t equate odors=hazardous as this is a common issue in households Where people get exposed. The threshold for smell of a product is almost ALWAYS different then the threshold for exposure. Sometimes if you smell it you are way late and sometimes you smell it way before there is an issue for exposure.

lol! So if I smell it, I'm either exposed or not exposed, that clears things up!

If you smell it, it has mixed with liquid in the lungs and created sulfuric acid which causes damage to the lung. @G259 lung damage is cumulative. If it is there and you don’t smell it, ,,, SO2 still combines with liquid in the lungs and creates damage. Chronic low level exposure is bad, in the scheme of things similar to chronic smoking.

SO2 is a useful chemical we use in food processing so the FDA has approved it. It combines with other organic ingredients, ie the reacted sulfur compounds are less toxic than other antioxidants or microbial choices.

Last edited:
lol! So if I smell it, I'm either exposed or not exposed, that clears things up!

I did some digging and the research says that the smell threshold is in the 0.67-4.75 ppm range. This would say to me open a window or complete the task with fresh air or outside if possible.

The current research shows the way to prevent any damage is to keep the ppm below the .25 mark for 15 minutes. I’ve not done any testing to see what my exposure is in my kitchen or wine making room with windows closed or open but I will definitely keep them open from now on.

The American Lung Association only says to avoid continued high levels of exposure but doesn’t define high. Here is the NIOSH info: Sulfur Dioxide and it seems that OSHA does regulate it and I was wrong but there level is the same at 5 ppm per 8 hours.

SO2 is also corrosive to many materials including vinyl hoses and stainless steel, so storage of incompatible equipment in a wet SO2 atmosphere is not recommended. I personally don't store anything long term wet with SO2.
I've got a question on this. After reading that SO2 gas keeps things sanitized I built a PVC tube contraption that I use to store some items on the assumption that they will stay sanitized in there. The PVC tube is 4" in diameter and I have an empty peanut butter jar in the bottom that contains the SO2 solution. I've drilled holes in the lid of the jar to allow the SO2 to permeate the tube. I've capped the top (and the bottom) so the gasses don't leak non-stop into the room. I store my plastic 24" spoon, wine thief, racking siphon and the vinyl hose and a stainless steel mixing rod in there. After using the tools I rinse them with water and place them into this pipe (usually still wet). Will this set-up keep the tools sanitized or am I fooling myself?

I've got a question on this. After reading that SO2 gas keeps things sanitized I built a PVC tube contraption that I use to store some items on the assumption that they will stay sanitized in there. The PVC tube is 4" in diameter and I have an empty peanut butter jar in the bottom that contains the SO2 solution. I've drilled holes in the lid of the jar to allow the SO2 to permeate the tube. I've capped the top (and the bottom) so the gasses don't leak non-stop into the room. I store my plastic 24" spoon, wine thief, racking siphon and the vinyl hose and a stainless steel mixing rod in there. After using the tools I rinse them with water and place them into this pipe (usually still wet). Will this set-up keep the tools sanitized or am I fooling myself?
Welcome to WMT!!

As long s you keep the sulfite solution fresh, it will keep them sanitized. Similarly, I used to keep my “stuff” in a tall bucket with a sealing lid. Worked out just fine. My racking hose did eventually get cloudy, I believe it was from storing it that way.

Noren, a few comments. Rather than rinsing, I clean my equipment after use. Then I place some of it as you do in a PVC tube, see below. I spray a healthy dose of K-meta / citric acid solution into the tube, seal it and I'm done. Once the SO2 sanitizes, it's finished. I believe there's no need to continually use fresh sanitizer in an airtight container. I open the container a day, week, or month later and can tell instantly the SO2 is still potent.

When I use something again, I give it a quick spray of Star San for extra protection, wait a few minutes, and get started. This isn't at all necessary, just my preference.

IMG_20200521_075734.jpg

Last edited:
@Noren SO2 eats metal, stainless will corrode.

Yep, definitely don't keep anything metal in there. I used to do as @Johnd mentioned and keep things in a bucket with a lid. The hoses will get cloudy/dirty and mine seemed to get a little brittle over time. Now, I just make sure everything is clean and dry. I hang the hoses. Everything gets spritzed with KMeta before use.

Yep, definitely don't keep anything metal in there. I used to do as @Johnd mentioned and keep things in a bucket with a lid. The hoses will get cloudy/dirty and mine seemed to get a little brittle over time. Now, I just make sure everything is clean and dry. I hang the hoses. Everything gets spritzed with KMeta before use.

Pretty much my exact regimen as well. I’m well into my “third kid mentality” in winemaking, a very laissez-faire winemaker for sure.

Latest posts

Back