Headspace under cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
I apologize but I searched the forum and could not seem to find the answer.
How much headspace when bottling between the wine and bottom of cork?

Thanks

corks are usually two sizes (length)..i dont know what size you have...so one suggestion is to literally measure out 750 ml of h20 in your measuring cup and pour into a bottle

It's actually quite simple. Place your filler tube on top of the punt or bottom if there isn't one and fill to top of bottle. Close off via the plastic clamp and remove from bottle. The displacement from the tube will equal the space recommended for wine.

When you get good you won't have to clamp off just have good aim from one bottle to next.

I agree fill your bottles to the top and then when you romove your filling tube the proper amount of space is left for the cork.

That's pretty much what I do as well. I use a bottle-wand, so I don't have to worry about stopping the flow of wine between bottles, though.

Not wanting to start another thread but what is the air space needed for beer? I'm going to bottle my skeeter pee in some Samual Adams beer bottles with a crown cap and wondered how much space is needed. 1/2 inch, 1 inch. Does it really matter with s.p.?

But I'm still haven't made beer yet. Too many wines brewing and I've been slightly busy lately.

Latest posts

Back