Headspace in carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked into this issue at length and would be warry of any glass marbles that were manufactured in China which could contain any number of toxic heavy metals. Morewinemaking.com offers what are purported to be marbles that are safe for use in wine

I filled as I normally do, normally add a bit less water. Then added the 2 skin bags. I have the normal headspace but for this wine I don’t want to add more commercial wine. Will follow with a picture.

Going to use Argon Gas until bottling. Decided not to use marbles. Read too many bad incidents, chipping breaking and even can have lead. Anyone ever use Argon Gas, wine bottle spray. If so how much do you spray and how often??

Going to use Argon Gas until bottling. Decided not to use marbles. Read too many bad incidents, chipping breaking and even can have lead. Anyone ever use Argon Gas, wine bottle spray. If so how much do you spray and how often??

I will Flood the headspace with a heavier gas to displace most of the Air. I do this putting the fill tube of gas near the liquid height inside the carboy and let it flow (heavier gas should push the lighter gas upward).
I do a rough calculation using a volume displacement method and then double it - typically no more than 1 minute per gallon (depending on your flow).
Then add the Headspace Eliminator to create a vacuum inside the vessel - no need to reapply the Heavier Gas unless you break the seal
I am using a 5 Lb container using a regulator set at 60 Bar or 14 psi

Then, there is a wonderful trick. Those Rossi jugs? The 1 gal jugs that come with wine in them? Last time I bought wine it was specifically to get the jugs. Those are slightly larger in capacity than the 1 gallon jugs on Amazon.
Those Carlo Rossi jugs are slightly larger capacity than other 1gal jugs for a good reason — B/C THEY ARE 4L JUGS! Lol (1.057gal)
I recently saw another odd sized Rossi jug and bought it— a 3L. I’ve even purchased this awful disgusting terrible drink local to south Jersey called Boost- sold in 1/2 gal jugs. (Picture bar soda without the seltzer)

Going outta your to having all these different bottles might sound over the top or anal to some people— but having an assortment of sizes on hand ranging from 187.5mL up to 5L jugs I’ve found to be incredibly useful.

I fully agree with @Ajmassa. I've rounded up wedding favors (~120 ml bottles), tossed the "wine", and kept the bottles. Comes in handy!
Wait- You joined WineMakingTalk forum in 2006?!

Was it just an actual room full of people talking shop in those olden times? Lol. I think Pluto was still a planet back then!
Tbh I didn’t realize WMT was that old

Wait- You joined WineMakingTalk forum in 2006?!
I've been making wine since before people had feet to stomp the grapes. We've evolved a lot since then. :p

While I've been a WMT member for 15 years, my time spent on the forum has been very sporadic. Up until about three years ago I did little more than lurk, and often didn't log in more than once or twice a year. I can't recall why I joined (probably searched for wine making "stuff") but the early conversations didn't catch my interest. In 2018 I got a resurge in my interest and made more wine that year than in the previous 5.

Whatever WMT was, it's evolved into the friendliest forum I've experienced. I was on a couple of technical forums this morning. Being on the computer has kept me out of prison -- it's not possible to choke someone through the internet, no matter how hard you try! 🤪

Let's keep up the good work!

Back