Headspace Eliminator

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
Would the Headspace Eliminator be a good option to use for the following scenario? I have a full 3 gal carboy and one 1/2 gal and one qt containers. I want to separate in two batches and back sweeten them. So could I add 1.75 gal in one 3 gal carboy and another 1.75 gal in another 3 gal carboy. Back sweeten them and then use the Headspace Eliminator for a few days before I bottle?

Wondering if this would be a safe use for the Headspace Eliminator.

Would the Headspace Eliminator be a good option to use for the following scenario? I have a full 3 gal carboy and one 1/2 gal and one qt containers. I want to separate in two batches and back sweeten them. So could I add 1.75 gal in one 3 gal carboy and another 1.75 gal in another 3 gal carboy. Back sweeten them and then use the Headspace Eliminator for a few days before I bottle?

Personally I would say yes for a few days. I have no proof and others including Steve may disagree but the headspace eliminator, in my opinion, is only for temporary use as in your case.

most definitely will be ok for a few days. this is there exact point of the headspace eliminator. One could argue it would be ok even without it for a couple days too. it’s mainly prolonged exposure when damage is done.

So definitely use it without fear. And if a few days turns into a few weeks (which easily happens) just remember to re-pull a vacuum at least weekly.

If it is 1.25 gallon above liquid at a nominal 15 psig (half an atmosphere that gives you five pints if adjusted to normal pressure air). This is enough to cause some oxidation.

A theory of operation:
If I was trying to minimize this I would look for a way to put an inert gas in the headspace. The easiest gas is CO2 because you can minimize degassing in which case it naturally comes out and brings the headspace back to ambient pressure, ,,, however with 25% of normal ppm oxygen (equal to five cups if normal air) Pumping out to half an atmosphere again removes more of the oxygen and would bring it down to 12.5% of a normal atmosphere (2.5 cups if normal air). Another two cycles of pumping out followed by degassing the wine would get you to an oxygen equal to five ounces of head space which is tolerable. Better yet pull it down a sixth time to get to oxygen equal to 2.5 ounces of headspace. At this level time shouldn’t be an issue.

First of all CO2 is your friend! Make it work for you/ ie don’t waste it. Next, The check valve in a headspace eliminator is a good safety and what I have seen says you can trust them to be one way. A vacuum gauge will let you know what you have pulled and can be on the pump. Expect that there will be some oxygen diffusion on a cork set up BUT it will be negligible as long as the inside and outside are at a similar pressure.

Corks are like a sponge, they contain air in the cell structure, so my opinion would be that they wouldn't prevent access to oxygen.

Has anyone tried putting in new corks to top up a carboy?
i see the thought process. makes sense since we know contact with wine is fine. but instead of displacing wine wouldnt it just be a bunch of corks floating on top? sounds like a giant headache if so.

Or would they eventually sink similar to oak stix/spirals?

I have done it using new Nomacorc, my impression is that it provided space for some surface growing film organism even though I put in enough to reduce ullage to half an inch.
One of the club members sent out a sales blurb for one inch plastic balls which could be used for this purpose, my reaction was to say a dollar a sphere is pricey so I ordered one inch rod from Granger which priced out to twenty five cents an inch in HDPE (milk jug plastic)
https://www.grainger.com/product/POLYMERSHAPES-Rod-Stock-22JL38

To answer your question = Yes
You will be fine - make sure you have sufficient SO2

sanitized glass marbles,
Dawg
If you like 'floaty' things in your wine to reduce ullage, try this: Open up a tube of pure silicone caulk and squirt out about one inch long dollops of caulk on an HDPE sheet to cure for several months. After they have lost their acetic acid smell they have cured enough to use. I like the marbles on the bottom as the yeast falls in between the marbles (less likely to get sucked up during racking). Currently using both on a bottle of 'overflow' in a ½ gallon carboy.

Latest posts

Back