Headspace bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, while SO2 and CO2 are heavier gasses than oxygen/nitrogen, there is plenty of mixing (as noted by JohnT) and it does not form a protective layer. You must entirely purge the oxygen out of the container to be safe.

This is why I bought a long nosed nozzle for my CO2 tank. It allows me to reach deep into a carboy and efficiently purge out the air. I purge long enough to displace 3 volumes of the headspace and this has been effective in protecting wine for intermediate storage with CO2 in the headspace.
And thats fantastic.......nature has a way...im not looking to have 40 year old wines im 45 and if they last 25 years im
happy. I have 10 year old cab Savs and Malbecs that have been triple oaked that are just fabulous only treated once with K-metta and Sorbate

I have 10 year old cab Savs and Malbecs that have been triple oaked that are just fabulous only treated once with K-metta and Sorbate

The triple oaking set the level of tannins high. This (and probably a healthy PH level) did the most to ensure your wine's longevity.

That is way too much air space.
You are asking for big trouble in a big way.

Use CO2 as protection for a quick-fix, not a permanent solution.

I have used sanitized marbles (and not the cheap dollar store type) when the air space is minimal.
Stay away from the dollar store marbles as they have a tendency to chip.

The most viable solution is switching to 5 gallon carboys, and an assortment of 1 gallon, 1/2 gallon, and smaller vessels, for the aging process.

I personally use 6.5 gallon carboys up to the point where I am going to age.
The 6.5 gallon carboys offer enough space for mixing of stabilizing agents, clearing agents, back sweeteners, etc.

Remember the two primary things when making wine:
1) Always sanitize anything that will come in contact with the must/wine.
2) After fermentation is complete, "air" is your enemy!

Happy Winemaking!

That is way too much air space.
You are asking for big trouble in a big way.

Use CO2 as protection for a quick-fix, not a permanent solution.

I have used sanitized marbles (and not the cheap dollar store type) when the air space is minimal.
Stay away from the dollar store marbles as they have a tendency to chip.

The most viable solution is switching to 5 gallon carboys, and an assortment of 1 gallon, 1/2 gallon, and smaller vessels, for the aging process.

I personally use 6.5 gallon carboys up to the point where I am going to age.
The 6.5 gallon carboys offer enough space for mixing of stabilizing agents, clearing agents, back sweeteners, etc.

Remember the two primary things when making wine:
1) Always sanitize anything that will come in contact with the must/wine.
2) After fermentation is complete, "air" is your enemy!

Happy Winemaking!
You are correct ...I add marbles after the carboy is racked and i never rack/bottle the bottom inch so if there is the 1% of a chipped marble after 3-6 months is at the bottom.......thanks for that

I use a filter machine when I bottle

Another option, after you have combined some of the carboys to fill the wine into the neck of the carboys is to add marbles to the remaining carboy. You may have to go to a smaller carboy, but you can always add the final neck fill with the marbles. Just make sure you use pure glass marbles, not ones with lead in them. Most wine supply shops carry the marbles. I use them every season.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making
I agree on the marbles. I did that last fall and was surprised at how many marbles you need. Looking at the amount of headspace you will spend a fortune on marbles, so agree to combine where possible and go to smaller carboys.

I agree on the marbles. I did that last fall and was surprised at how many marbles you need. Looking at the amount of headspace you will spend a fortune on marbles, so agree to combine where possible and go to smaller carboys.
Thats right.......I rack 4 times before bottling and yes Im short 1 litre......I did the dollar store thing and bought the marbles about 3 gallons worth. Topping off with a "like Minded" wine" works also

Dollar store

If it was me I would be thinking, next rack will make this even worse. Sacrificial last smaller carboy that keeps getting smaller is good and you still have the same amount of wine... and I can sleep at nights.

What about the AIO Headspace Eliminator? I've been using this for about a year now with levels in the carboy a bit above the carboy shoulder. I don't bulk age over 4 months due to space issues.

What about the AIO Headspace Eliminator? I've been using this for about a year now with levels in the carboy a bit above the carboy shoulder. I don't bulk age over 4 months due to space issues.
I bottle after 3 months ......After clearing and racking ive added a 1/4 tsp of metta and 1 tsp of sorbate and have never had a problem. ive got some 8 year olds that are smooth and delicious

Latest posts

Back