Head trained vineyard layout help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am reaching out to know if anyone has a good resource on building a head trained vineyard, especially the spacing between vines.

I have a small front yard and I have an internal debate about going "water smart" and turning it into a xeriscape. Why not get some benefit in the form of grapes as well?
Our friend had Barbera just planted in front of his house and I could measure that, but I was hoping for a sanity check resource.

I am reaching out to know if anyone has a good resource on building a head trained vineyard, especially the spacing between vines.

I have a small front yard and I have an internal debate about going "water smart" and turning it into a xeriscape. Why not get some benefit in the form of grapes as well?
Our friend had Barbera just planted in front of his house and I could measure that, but I was hoping for a sanity check resource.
Check with @NorCal - he has some experience with a vineyard that transitioned vines from trellis to head trained with great success.

The vineyards that @crushday is referring to is 6 foot spacing, 8 feet between the rows. If it were front yard aesthetics and fruit, I would be inclined to leave 8 foot between any vine.

There is one acre of Petite Sirah where the vineyard was transitioned from head trained to trellis. This year (year 4) was the first time the trellised section of the vineyard out performed the head trained vines.

@Snafflebit, even though I don't live in the community anymore, I could still get you in there if you wanted to look at how the vines are laid out.

Back