Head Space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrank07

Reaction score
I currently have 7 different wines in one gallon carboys for secondary fermentation. The one gallon mark on these carboys is an inch or so below the neck. My question is, is the line my wines are filled up to adequate or should it be topped off more (above the one gallon line)? I hate doing this because I don't want to water down my wines, but I also don't want to be at risk for oxidation.

u.jpg

I currently have 7 different wines in one gallon carboys for secondary fermentation. The one gallon mark on these carboys is an inch or so below the neck. My question is, is the line my wines are filled up to adequate or should it be topped off more (above the one gallon line)? I hate doing this because I don't want to water down my wines, but I also don't want to be at risk for oxidation.

u.jpg

As much as I hate watered-down wine, if they were mine, I'd top them up. Other options include similar commercial wine to top up with.

As much as I hate watered-down wine, if they were mine, I'd top them up. Other options include similar commercial wine to top up with.

Ok perhaps I'll top them all up a bit. Most of my wines are fruit flavored (blueberry, cherry, watermelon, apple, spiced apple) so I don't know which commercial wine I'd use for these. Would you suggest topping off with water, then add an f-pack if the wine tastes a bit watered down before bottling?

You really should top them off. That much ratio of air to wine is risky. Use a wine similar to what you have and it could even be a box wine as opposed an expensive wine.

Some folks have used marbles but that can be an aggregation.

In reading a similar thread, Luc recommedned using glass marbles to top off. I think I may just take his advice for this and next time make a little more than a gallon so I won't have to top off as much.

Not topping up your wine will leave your wine much more susceptible to infections and oxidation. Volume displacement is also a very acceptable practice.

What kind of wine do you have in the one gallon carboys. I see you have five different wines listed above is this what you are talking about or is it something else

Last edited:
What kind of wine do you have in the one gallon carboys

I have watermelon, cherry, blueberry, spiced apple, apple, welchs niagara, and welchs concord in one gallon carboys. The biggest issue is $$$. I don't want to have to buy 7 bottles of wine just for topping off.

Unfortanately this is my first time making wine so I don't have anything in my cellar. :(

I have watermelon, cherry, blueberry, spiced apple, apple, welchs niagara, and welchs concord in one gallon carboys. The biggest issue is $$$. I don't want to have to buy 7 bottles of wine just for topping off.

With the apple I would buy a jug of apple juice to top up with and with the Niagara I would use frozen concentrate to top up with and the same with the Welchs Concord. I am not sure but I might try and get a fresh watermelon and cherry and blueberries and make an f pack to top them up. but not sure Wade can tell you for sure if he don't answer you can pm him to find out

Great advice! I was thinking of topping the cherry, blueberry, and watermelon with watermelon then adding the f-pack later when I stabilize. I will definitely add some more grape juice and apple juice to the others. Thanks again.

You could split a couple of bottles of an Oak Leaf white among them. $2.97 a bottle here.

Not topping up your wine will leave your wine much more susceptible to infections and oxidation. Volume displacement is also a very acceptable practice.

Just a thought... I agree with always topping off, but if the wine is still fermenting and producing enough CO2 to burp the airlock once in a while, would the headspace not be filled with CO2? Even after the fermentation activity drops off, as long as the airlock is in place would it not hold the CO2 in the headspace? Or would the CO2 eventually leak out and O2 get in?

If it was me i would go buy a big bottle of my favourite white wine & top then all up with it unless your fav has oak in it then you better pick another .

Back