Head scratcher......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a48th

Junior
Reaction score
I pose my question to the learned folks on this amazing site....RED long term bulk carboy aging.....can i seal up the carboy and lie it on its side like a bottle of wine or should it be vertical.....

I have searched the site and cannot determine either way...

Cheers

Other than possible leakage, you may have an issue with fine lees dropping out of suspension that could get mixed back into the wine when you tip it back up to bottle. Otherwise I don't see why you couldn't. Then again, I'm not learned.

How do you propose to seal it?

well thank you...i will stop scratching and go with the flow.....just one of those ...what if....but your answers are sound and 'learned'

salute!!

There is another issue, a summer wine will shrink in winter cold, if you have a winter wine it will expand in summer temperatures and could pop a horizontal cork off.
I second the above notes especially releasing CO2, gas is less soluble in summer and needs some way to come back into ambient air pressure.

I pose my question to the learned folks on this amazing site....RED long term bulk carboy aging.....can i seal up the carboy and lie it on its side like a bottle of wine or should it be vertical.....

I have searched the site and cannot determine either way...

Cheers
How long term was you thinking ?

Back