Hazy Muscadine wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vkyrg1

Junior
Reaction score
I make about 150 bottles of muscadine wine each year from my 6 vines. Years ago I used pectic enzyme on unfermented must, but later found it to be an unnecessary step. This year I experimented by boiling the muscadine skins after squeezing in an effort to extract more juice and also to extract more color (my previous "red" wines always came out amber even though I fermented with the red (or black) skins. Now my carboys are mirky and ugly- but it tastes fine. If it is pectin haze, has anyone ever added pectic enzyme after fermentation? If I cant clear this up I'm going to have to drink it from a coffee cup. I have already tried bentonite, sparkloid, and super clear.

Pectins will melt/ unfold/ get extracted better with heat. Yes you may have significant pectin and yes adding pectase will break it down. Note pectic enzyme is less efficient in alcohol so it will take more/ more time to clear.
My first thought was protein haze, the answer if protein is to add a tannin. Tannin will react with pectic enzyme so try enzyme first.

Thanks Dawg. You are kind. I told my wife that we will never heat ours again!
Pectins will melt/ unfold/ get extracted better with heat. Yes you may have significant pectin and yes adding pectase will break it down. Note pectic enzyme is less efficient in alcohol so it will take more/ more time to clear.
My first thought was protein haze, the answer if protein is to add a tannin. Tannin will react with pectic enzyme so try enzyme first.
Thank you Rice_Guy. That's the reply that I was looking for. I will try that today! I got plenty of time to wait. If I can remember I will try to update you on the results.

Now my carboys are mirky and ugly- but it tastes fine. If it is pectin haze, has anyone ever added pectic enzyme after fermentation? If I cant clear this up I'm going to have to drink it from a coffee cup.
Hey, have you noticed any improvement since? I hope it's clearing up.

I'm waiting on USPS to deliver my pectic enzyme and tannin. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• mirky wine.jpg
    mirky wine.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
I think about that everytime I look at those head spaces. Never had that problem but I never had to keep them in carboys this long before. Now you got me worried so I may top them off. Thank you for that advice.

i often ask you questions, and i read what you say to others, but wow you are scientific, of course that not only helps my hayseed butt, but many others on here as well,,,,,
Dawg

Positive update! One carboy of wine is clearing up nicely-and it happened overnight after adding the pectic enzyme. The other three are showing signs of clarifying but only at the top of the carboy- so far. I'm now wondering if I should add more enzyme.... but this is wine after all. I will wait a few days. I hope Rice_Guy is paying attention so I can lean on his knowledge some more. I will post another pic later.
I also took ChuckD's advice and topped all the carboys off.

Positive update! One carboy of wine is clearing up nicely-and it happened overnight after adding the pectic enzyme. The other three are showing signs of clarifying but only at the top of the carboy- so far. I'm now wondering if I should add more enzyme.... but this is wine after all. I will wait a few days. I hope Rice_Guy is paying attention so I can lean on his knowledge some more. I will post another pic later.
The dosage on the package is for pre-fermentation. Post-fermentation it's common to add 2 or 3 times that much, as the enzyme is less effective in the presence of alcohol. AFAIK, there are no side effects, so you can add another dose to the ones that are not clearing as fast.

time and patience is always your best bet, the only quick thing about wine is if you drink to much, then you hit the ground real quick like, lol
Dawg

Agreed Dawg. I added another dose of enzyme to the carboys today. I'm so glad to see them clearing up. Most of my sponging children and grandchildren turned their noses up at my murky wine, but they will be quick to take a bottle of this clarified wine home.
I have never used tannin before. Can someone advise me how and if I should use it on this wine? Will it add to the clarity?

Agreed Dawg. I added another dose of enzyme to the carboys today. I'm so glad to see them clearing up. Most of my sponging children and grandchildren turned their noses up at my murky wine, but they will be quick to take a bottle of this clarified wine home.
I have never used tannin before. Can someone advise me how and if I should use it on this wine? Will it add to the clarity?
tanning is for mouthfeel and slight bite, i use no tannins, if i need that slight bite i use crabapples
Dawg

Thanks Dawg. Rice_Guy alluded to protein haze and apparently tannin would clear that up. I never heard of that before. As for taste, I don't need any "bite" added, but would love to understand tannin's relationship to clarifying. Years ago when I first started this hobby, I bought some tannin and added it to some of my wine. I really couldn't tell much difference so I quit using it. I am from Mississippi and my palate may not be as sophisticated as your average wino!

someone advise me how and if I should use it on this wine? Will it add to the clarity?
I am a big fan of tannins (polyphenols) since they contribute to shelf life. Commercially they are grouped into different uses as fermentation tannin or finishing tannin. (see Scott Labs handbook) I will put a percent high tannin apple in most wines.
By definition a tannin reacts with a protein. Practically speaking a big tannin reacts with big protein and a small tannin molecule reacts with a small protein so a lot is trial and error. (see Scott Labs)

I am so pleased with the clarity now that I don't think I'm going to add the tannin. Thanks to everyone that helped me. This group is quite an asset to anyone making wine. Wish I could share a bottle with each of you.

Attachments

• mirky wine.jpg
    mirky wine.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
  • WINE AFTER ENZYEME.jpg
    WINE AFTER ENZYEME.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Dawg. Rice_Guy alluded to protein haze and apparently tannin would clear that up. I never heard of that before. As for taste, I don't need any "bite" added, but would love to understand tannin's relationship to clarifying. Years ago when I first started this hobby, I bought some tannin and added it to some of my wine. I really couldn't tell much difference so I quit using it. I am from Mississippi and my palate may not be as sophisticated as your average wino!
@Rice_Guy is your scoarce for understanding the tetanal aspects of those things,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back