Haze in Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
Chardonnay has a haze to it. It has been bulk aging for about 6 months, about 2 weeks ago I cold stabilized. I used super kleer yesterday and am going to give that a little time to work. Some stuff dropped out and the wine definitely smells/tastes better but the haze seems unaffected. Assuming the haze remains what is a better product for this type of issue? I have read super kleer does not work that well w haze.

Sorry yea it's from a juice bucket. It was a problem from the day I received it. I purchase 3 buckets. They were labeled as fresh but we're about 65% fermented, smelled weird and were brownish. The place I bought them from was about 2 hours away and refused to do anything about it. Anyways, I have been able to mostly fix it and it tastes alright. Last problem I'm having is this haze. Will try pectin enzyme. I may end up kegging it under co2 to make a sparkling wine.

My Chardonnay from grapes had the same issue, even after bulk aging for a few months, it also went through MLF.

Back then I decided to cold stabilize and it cleared nicely within 2 weeks, lots of crystals. However, I think the CS stripped some of its flavor.

I haven't checked lately so will open a bottle soon and check the PH.

Yes mine went through mlf too and was Oaked in barrel for a few months. I did try the cold stabilizing but haze remains.

Did you heat stabilize the wine with some bentonite. I'd try 2-4 pounds per 1,000 gallons vitaben, settle it out for at least 36 hours (preferably 1-2 weeks) and then rack it off. That should get rid of the hazing if it's a protein issue.

Latest posts

Back