Quantcast

Have you made a Suisun Valley Petite Sirah?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
This might be a good wine to compare to yours.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 7.39.05 AM.png

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@4score and I are making Petite Sirah this season. With such small berries and thick skin, the challenge is taming the tannins. We are using some wood chips in fermentation to hopefully provide sacrificial tannin.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I've done two PS from Lanza Vineyards in Suisun. Both are excellent, but as @NorCal mentioned, tannin heavy. I kinda like that though. ;)

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
I've done two PS from Lanza Vineyards in Suisun. Both are excellent, but as @NorCal mentioned, tannin heavy. I kinda like that though. ;)
I'm guessing that is why @jgmann67 wanted to try a blend (he did a 50/50 Lanza PS and Lanza Zin) I think it's way too young (9-2016) though I might try a taster, but as I remember my last taste it was very tannin "rich", even blended. The nice thing is I would think it should be able to age for quite some time, with all those tannins and everything...

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Lodi Gold PS bulk-aging now, but I haven't tasted it recently.

Johny99

Reaction score
I press early to try and tame my PS and new barrel it. I did buy a bottle of the Caymus to compare. I’m not thinking it will be much of a comparison, but it’ll be fun drinking. :dg

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
I haven't tasted either the PS or the blend yet. I promised myself a first taste at 2 years. But, I'm very hopeful.

That's a pricey comparison bottle. If mine compares favorably, I got some bragging to do. [emoji1303]

zadvocate

Reaction score
I did a Lanza Zin 85% Lanza Petite Syrah 15% and the did a Lanza cab 85 Lanza Petite Syrah 15%. Both turned out great. I’m saving what I have. It will hit the 2 year mark in October. But had been really good.