Have you ever made

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder2000

Reaction score
Has anybody tried making Elderberry Wine from a package of dried Elderberries. I was putting some together and needed some input on what I can do to make it work out. I really like this kind of wine and my supplier had a package so I figured what the heck. What do you think about this:5oz. of dried elderberries with one pound of white raisins,2.5 lbs. of sugar and 1 tsp acid blend,1 tsp of nutrient and yeast.

I'm a 'fresh elderberry' wine maker when there in season. I rate the fresh 'elderflower' higher. With the quantities I assume this is a 1 Gallon batch?

YES its only a gallon. I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I thought we could try that and if that works than will try a bigger batch

I have made basically that same recipe. I made one batch without the raisins and one with raisins. Much more body with the raisins. Both came out quite nice but I preferred the batch with the raisins. Will take a while to age and mellow out. It is not quite as aromatic as a fresh elderberry wine but quite nice. If you give it time to age, I believe you will be quite pleased.

Smurfe :)

would adding oak chips to it help give it an oaked aged flavor

Elderberries are very strong in flavors and taste and tannins.
Elderberrie wine is one of the best, and I have made loads of it.
But I always make it from fresh picked elderberries.

I would advise against oak. As elderberrie has alot of taste itself, I would ferment
the wine until ready and then taste it. THEN if you think it needs oak you can age it a few months on oak chips.

As the wine in this particular case is made from dried elderberries, I would certainly wait until the wine is finished. Wait how it turns out, taste and then add oak if needed. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised without oak.

Luc

Latest posts

Back