Have some Madeira...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread on this forum where Madeira wine is discussed. The song below was originally from the late 50's or early 60's by the Limeliters featuring Lou Gottlieb and I think of it every time I hear mention of Madeira wine. This rendition has Lou alone and was done much later, in 1981. Listen to the end.

@Rocky: Thank you for posting that. The Limeliters are a huge favorite of mine. Their concerts were so much fun and that song is one of the best!

Other than the wonderful examples of zeugma (or, if you prefer, syllepsis), I think there is absolutely nothing redeeming in that piece. It is 2020, you know...
Just curious: do you have any daughters?

I suspect you know why. Lovely to joke about getting an underage girl drunk on sweet wine in order to sleep with her.

I thought that might be what you were suggesting but I wanted to be certain.

Yes, we do have a wonderful daughter, a graduate engineer, who has honored us all her life and has given us two amazing grandsons. One will graduate Magna Cum Laude in Actuarial Science in May and then be off to graduate school. The other will shortly be a Senior (although he will only be 20 in September), majoring in Neurological Science. He is planning to go to Medical School. You can see that, thankfully, my crude, lewd and insensitive nature has not negatively affected my family.

I grew up at a time when parents raised their children. (Gee, that's a novel concept!) They let their kids walk to and from school alone, stay out and play all day, ride bikes miles from home and never had to worry. That was 60-70 years ago. The worst things we did in high school was for two or three guys to buy a 6-pack of beer. There was no smoking anywhere on school grounds and boys had to wear long pants and a button shirt to school and girls wore dresses. Yes, there was an occasional kidnapping, rape or murder. The awful case of Bobby Greenleaf comes to mind as does the murder of the 7 nurses in Chicago by Richard Speck. These events were national news which horrified us and they were rare.

Did we get into trouble occasionally? Sure, all part of growing. Were there consequences when we misbehaved? You bet your life there were. My high school still paddled and I graduated in 1960. And, if the school called home, there were two more whippings waiting for us. Did someone "get a girl in trouble" back then? Yes, but rarely and we did not have birth control or "morning after" pills.

Today, with Schools, Churches, Governments, do-good groups and everyone else telling parents how to raise their children, what do we have? Birth control pills issued in school to 13 year old girls without parents' knowledge nor consent, kids in Middle School using drugs, children kidnapped from their front yards and murdered, shootings in schools and boys and girls going to school dressed like they were going to dig ditches. Is there discipline? NO, not in schools, not at home! Yes, turning over the responsibility of raising ones children has worked well.

Furthermore, this is only a song. It is meant to entertain and make people laugh and enjoy. It isn't some "dog whistle" command to senior citizens to seduce young girls with wine. You must have seen a room full of people in the background who were enjoying the rendition and were not offended by the song. Lighten up!

Not sure what prompted the "good old days" speech.

Although you used the imperative, I will take your "lighten up" directive as a suggestion. And I will not take it. I still don't think that seducing drunken minors is an apt subject for entertainment, but I suppose reasonable people can disagree.

Not sure what prompted the "good old days" speech.

Although you used the imperative, I will take your "lighten up" directive as a suggestion. And I will not take it. I still don't think that seducing drunken minors is an apt subject for entertainment, but I suppose reasonable people can disagree.

Fair enough.

Latest posts

Back