Have I waited too long to make this wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I purchased a couple of cans of juice concentrate a couple of years ago to make some wine. The juice is Riesling. I purchased an expensive kit a few years ago and waited too long to make it. I could not get it to ferment. Have I waited too long on this canned juice.

Thanks

The sugars in the can will last forever.
The minerals in the juice will last forever.
Complex molecules as vitamins and flavors will degrade with time, that noted heat based processing for thirty or sixty minutes as a canning line or a vacuum evaporator do more damage to the vitamins than several years of room temperature storage.
There should be a code date on the package. In the instant rice industry we were putting two years on because on a store shelf the packaging would look bad after two years, not the contents. For a metal can there can be pin holes in the container which rust out, this again is a packaging issue. Flexible pouches likewise can have pin holes in the barrier, this usually is an oxidation transfer/ flavor issue.

Your old kit will ferment, if you want to get it going faster a starter would be advised.

Back