Have I totally botched my first batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljcjd

Reaction score
Oh boy what a morning! I was so anxious to get started on my wine
making journey I read everything I could find. Thinking I was
totally prepared I got out my new wine kit and juice. My first issue
was what the heck to put in the hole in the primary fermenter?
Thank you all for the pictures posted on this site (and a call to
George) and I figured out where the "spicket" went. This
morning after preparing all my equipment I got the juice in the bucket
and in horror realized the spicket hole was leaking. I had the
bucket on the floor and the tip of the spicket must have unsecured the
insertion point. I rushed to get the caboy and quickly rinsed it
out with the cleaning solution and used the spicket to transfer the
juice into the caboy, my 88 year lod father helped me figure out
what was wrong ( we reinserted it and put the bucket on a chair with
the spicket not in contact with the seat of the chair.
Anyway....have I totally screwed this up? I poured the juice back
into the primary bucket after reinserting and stablizing the spicket
but I'm worried it's totally botched. What do you think?
Poor it out and start over or hang in there and hope for the best.
Also, I lost quite a bit of the juice. You know for someone
considered a pretty smart woman I feel mighty stupid right now.
Edited by: ljcjd

I don't think you have too much to worry about. I would put campden tabs in the must and let it set overnight before I pitched the yeast though.

Chris

As long as you sanitized the containers you used for transferring you will be fine. The juice already has a level of free SO2 which will protect it. Continue on and relax you will be fine.

What kit is this and how much juice do you think you lost?

Note to self: Check new primary with water first after installing spigot.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: masta

Not saying you didn't but the spigots form George come with no instructions and unless you have some experience with fitting and connections you might not know. When you take the screw nut off the spigot there are to black rubber gaskets pull one off then insert through hole in bucket reach inside bucket and put second black gasket on then nut and tighten. And of course check with water would always be a good ideal I didn't but got lucky. Hope this helps.
smiley1.gif

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
In my experience you have to do a lot more than you have done to screw up a wine kit. I know I have done some pretty stupid things. I have found wine to be pretty forgiving of the winemaker.
My only concern would be in the amount of juice you lost. Are you able to determine from the markings on the side of the bucket how much juice you have? Have you already added the water?

Thank you so much!!! Ramrid, there were no instructions on the
spicket and I actually called George on Friday night. He was
very, very helpful but conceded, instructions on "spicket insertion"
were nonexistent. Masta, you're right...I've logged a
permanent note to myself...run water through spicket before filling
with juice. Greenbean, you are way out of my educational
level on winemaking...campdem what???? Thank you all, I feel a
little better so I'll just cross my fingers, start a new batch and have
high hopes. Truth is, I was so "freaked out" when running around
trying to figure out what to do I just grabbed the caboy and threw in
the cleaner, rinsed and used it. Oh well...it will be an amusing
memory right? Thanks again Laurie

I'm sorry I forgot to answer the question of how much juice I
lost. I would guess about 1 quart at least. My kitchen looked
like a mass murder had occured and it took three towels to clean up so
I figure 1 to 1 1/2 quarts. I filled up the container with water to the
bottom line on my container. I had read some where that if I fill
the caboy and need to top it off, I should add a "like wine" to do
it. Hey...we'll see.

Laurie, I don't know what kind of kit you had but, and understand that I have been making wine for two months only myself, if it was a dark wine and you lost more than 1/2 gallon I would buy welches grape juice in the bottles and add it back in, if it was white wine use white welches grape, otherwise your carboy is going to be not full enough when its time to rack to it. You should also check with a hydrometer and add sugar (boil it in some water and let it cool before adding) to bring the specific gravity to where the kit calls for it to be at this step. Of course I make wine with welches only and think it is pretty good so keep that in mind.
smiley29.gif

The kit I had was the Merlot Original Series/Wine Expert. It says
4 gallons US then says 6 gallons US...Metric it says 15 litres produit
23 litres. The grape juice is very good advice. I that better
than capping off with another Merlot? Thanks!

If you lost only a quart, I would suggest you continue with the wine following instructions. When you reach the stabilizing and clearing stage you would top up the carboy to within two inches of the bottom of the bung. Most kits (15+ liters) are designed over strength to allow for the addition of up to a quart of water at this stage. I would suggest that to compensate for the loss of juice you top up with a commercial wine instead of water. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

It may or may not be a little thin when you get ready to bottle and you can explore options for improving body at that time or you may choose to pour it out. In any event going through the process will be valuable experience when making the next batch.

That's what I was reading....to add a commercial Merlot to top it
off. You are so right...this has been a learning experience for
me, one I will not forget. You know the quote" that which doesn't
kill you makes you stronger". I'll be a strong vine maker.

I'm signing off to watch the basketball games....thank you all so much,
I am very impressed with you all. Laurie .... GO GREEN!!!

Stop worrying about it. The wine will be fine. It might be a little thin and low alcohol, but fine. Just proceed exactly as the instructions say. After you rack to the carboy, you can let fermentation continue until the stabilizing and fining step, then top up with a good cheap Merlot. Have you tried Yellow Tail Merlot from Australia? Very good at a low price. Edited by: Country Wine

I coming in at the end of this Ijcjd, but there is a lot of good advice for you here. And do you best, relax and have fun and don't get in a hurry. Alot of these first wines turn out to to be the best liked. Just keep going there is always things to learn..and have fun with it.

Don't forget to write everything down. You don't want to make a winning wine, and then realize you can't reproduce it. Don't rely on your memory, no matter how good it is. I have a terrible one, and have forgotten to note everything, thinking, "Oh, I'll just quickly do this and write it down later." I had no idea about 1/2 hour later.
smiley19.gif

Laurie,

You are being too analytical and way too anxious. Remember, people have been making wine for thousands of years without the knowledge we have gained in the last 150. Before Louise Pasteur, no one had a clue as to what caused the grape juice to ferment into wine.

The same exact thing happened on my first batch andI also forgot to put the oak in, but it was still very good. So good, in fact that I have now made over 100 batches of wine and started a store.

You are also forgetting my 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. I don't care whose fault it is, you will make a good bottle of wine or I will send you a new kit and we will do it again.

BTW, I am working on spigot instructions among other things. Stay tuned for some important and exciting announements!

Hey Maui Joe... funny you should ask ... I've been mixing like all
...for 30 minutes and still getting lots of foam. I borrowed a
drill and also mixing with a manual spoon...30 minutes later i'm still
stirring. How long does this go on? Actually $15.00 a
bottle doesn't seem like enough after all this work. Thanks
Laurie ( I love Maui )

Laurie,

I normally stir for about a minute, wait five minutes then stir for another minute and repeat the process until it quits foaming. Depending on the wine, it usually takes about 3-6 stirrings to get rid of the foam if you get the stirrer really going. If not, it could take more. One thing is that you can not over stir and you will be rewarding for getting the CO2 out.

I love Maui, too! My family is constantly pressuring me to take them back. Got enough frequent flyer miles, just need a place to hang. Hey, Joe, what is the cost per night in wine supplies at your place.
smiley36.gif

Thank you George. AAA also just told me I should stir and then
wait...I guess I'm just wanting to go to bed ( boreing me ), I
really wasn't waiting between stirring it up. As always...I get
the best advise from you all. I'll give it a shot. I'm
going on a two week vacation after this so I really want to mix out the
fizz and let it rest. Thanks! Laurie

Latest posts

Back