Have I screwed up first attempt?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muley

Junior
Reaction score
I'll try not to be too long....

Started with very ripe plums & all the recipe book ingrediants in primary fermentation bucket. For about a week, I removed the "head" daily (don't think I should have done that), and stirred twice daily. The room thatI did this in had wide temperature swings, probably 65 to 85 F, night to day.

When "head" stopped forming daily (about a week), I transferred to 3 gal carboy and added Campden, and put under airlock, in a more stable area about 70-75 F.

After about 2 weeks, never noticed any bubbling action. I then got a hydrometer and tested for the first time at 1.002. I then added 2-1/2 cups of sugar as suggested by another novice.

After one day, still no bubbly action so I stirred.
After another day, still no bubbly action so I transferred to another carboy (leaving behind sediment and undisolved sugar) and added yeast nutrient and topped off carboy with a couple large glasses of RO water to minimize air space.

Now for the past 3 days the SG has not changed from 1.005.

Color is a nice pink and a little cloudy. Taste is hard to describe but not vinegary or spoiled.

Any advice or comments?

Thanks.

Removed the head??? Are you refering to the skins and pulp and if so did you discard them or reintroduce them after stirring?

How much camden did you add? If the yeast was pooped out the camden could have inhibited any renewed fermentation. What kind of yeast did you use and what was your starting SG?

The SG went from 1.002 to 1.005 after adding 2 1/2 cups of sugar to a 3gal batch. As stated you had undissolved sugar (the reason the SG didn't increase more).

At this point you could add "dissolved" 1/2tsp K-sorbate/gal of wine and let stand for a week. If no further evidence of fermentation then sweeten to taste and bottle.

Thanks for the reply.

The "head" was foamy with skins, pulp & pits and I discarded it.

1 tablet of campden per gallon (3).
Did not check SG at the start.
Not sure what kind of yeast it was, neighbor gave it to me from his wine making stuff.

If it's stuck, I've also heard about adding yeast, might that be an idea?

Stir, stir, stir to make sure the sugar has dissolved then take a SG. If it's still about 1.005 then I'd say it's about done fermentating.

Latest posts

Back