Have I lost my mind or what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
So this morning I was bored and was gazing into the fridge and pantry for something to ferment. Happened to see some honey and syrup sitting there and I got to thinking. Dangerous I know, but sometimes I just can’t help myself. Anyway, this is what I did.

1st Gallon
2# Buckwheat honey
Bottle of strawberry syrup
Half a jar of chocolate fudge
3 tsp Acid Blend
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient and energizer
Sugar to SG of 1.090
k-meta
Water to one gallon.

2nd Gallon
2# Buckwheat honey
Bottle of Blueberry syrup
3 tsp Acid Blend
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient and energizer
Sugar to SG of 1.085
k-meta
Water to one gallon.

Both are bubbling away now. So what did I make with my made up concoction? Should I throw it out now or will it be something you would drink? I was thinking about doing an f-pack and back sweeten with some more honey and syrup when it finishes. Any thoughts?

What kind of yeast?
Did you do a acid test or just added acid blend?
Any preservatives in any of what you added?
What kind of syrup?

Red Star Pasteur Red, one package each gallon

No acid test. Just added the blend.

No preservatives that I know of. I added 1/4 tsp k-meta

Smucker's Strawberry and Blueberry syrups

The Chocolate fudge was also Smucker's

Both are working nicely

Sounds like it'll go nicely with a cookie.

David, you're rather MAD. You'll fit in nicely here.

Yes, you've lost it, but that's exactly what we like around here. (go look up milk wine if you don't believe me). Those might just turn out pretty good though.

Glad to learn that I meet the requirements for membership on this site. Yes, I'm crazy! LOL

Came home from work today to find that the strawberry fudge mead had blown it's top...Had chocolate fudge everywhere. Got it cleaned up and didn't fill the jug as full this time. It may taste like crap someday but it really has a nice smell to it. I can't wait to try it!

It's official....I had loss my mind and this stuff was NASTY! Poured both down the drain today. Glad it was only two gallons and not more.

Oh well, I live and I learn. Won't do that again.

now watch someone esle will have seen this and made it and let it finish and it will be really good

It's official....I had loss my mind and this stuff was NASTY! Poured both down the drain today. Glad it was only two gallons and not more.

hope i don't wind up doing the same thing with my "peach beer/wine" experiment, lol
so far it's not bad, a little weird, but i think some sugar down the road will make it drinkable, lol.

I've had 2 batches i have worked on for almost 8 months. Wife suggested I dump it. With a little tweaking here and there it worked out very good. I would have given those concoctions a lot more time.

You shouldn't have dumped it... I have heard that the worse something tastes upon completion of fermentation, the better it may taste after aging.

You should have bottled it and let it sit for a year or so. The only concern I would have with attempting to ferment syrup is that most syrups are full of sorbate to keep them from going bad... but it sounds like yours fermented just fine. It's a shame you dumped them already. :ts

You shouldn't have dumped it... I have heard that the worse something tastes upon completion of fermentation, the better it may taste after aging.

You should have bottled it and let it sit for a year or so. The only concern I would have with attempting to ferment syrup is that most syrups are full of sorbate to keep them from going bad... but it sounds like yours fermented just fine. It's a shame you dumped them already. :ts

Lj, are you aware that this post is over a year old? Sorry, but I know every once in a while someone comes on and answers a post that is over a year old.

Lj, are you aware that this post is over a year old? Sorry, but I know every once in a while someone comes on and answers a post that is over a year old.

Who knows? Maybe a year of sitting in the sink trap improved it.
image1.sflb

Latest posts

Back