Have I killed my vine by hard pruning so late?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoelJustJoel

Junior
Reaction score
So, I have just a single four-year-old Vanessa grapevine in the backyard. It's been crawling all over the ground out of control for the past several months and I just yesterday got around to building a new trellis. It's late spring and it is covered with clusters of growing fruit. I had to prune off anout half of the vine to untangle it and put it up on the new trellis and today the leaves are quite wilted. Can I hope for it to recover from this hard prune at this late point in the season? If not, is there anything I can do now to help it recover? Maybe I need to cut off some of the existing fruit to conserve energy? Grape growing seems like a really fun hobby but I'm feeling pretty clueless and so I appreciate any advice from you wise, experienced vintners.

It should recover just fine. I can't see how pruning caused it to wilt, unless you broke the shoots moving them around. If so,more will come. Keep water on it, and it will come back. You have reduced its load by pruning, but as it is only 4, I'd limit it to 10 clusters or so.

Latest posts

Back