Have a laugh on me guys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
Today I started my new wine kit, the one with the skins in it. So, everything is going alone good. I sanitized everything, work space is clean, and im going at a nice slow pace. Now it's time to put the skins into that sake they give you. So I go up stairs to my kitchen and re-wash a spoon, bring it down stairs and sanitized it. Now im starting to put the skins ito that sack. Well, as im putting the skind in one end, I can see that something is happening at the other end. The juice was starting to come out, and the spoon that I had cleaned was now way to small to speed this up. So I had to dump the skinds into the sack, witch is what I think I should of done in the first place. Then carry it over to the primary bucket in both hands as the juice is coming out, lol, I made a little mess. Live and learn!!!

Teamsterjohn
Dont feel bad about making a little mess, I did the same thing when I made my first wine skin kit, it was a RJ Valpolicella kit and I thought I could fill the cheese cloth sac by myself, I got about 1/3 of the jar empty and i had one hell of a mess, I had to call my wife for help it works better with 4 hands instead of 2. and put your sac in a sanitized container so the juices stay contained, and then wash it back into your primary when your done. good Luck next time you will love those grape skins kits, there a little more work but they are worth it.

I pretty much did the same thing but I took the sock and slipped it over the container with the skins in it and then proceeded to flip it over quick over the primary but when I did the skins didnt come right out. So I picked it up and air slammed it down to try and shake it out and it did all in one chunk which ripped the sock right out of my hand and into the must splashing me and everything around like a cannonball in a pool. Everything around looked a pretty splattered red!

It may not be the greatest disaster yet! I came close the other day, damn near knocked over an entire 3 gallon bettr bottle full of skeeter pee. It was a close one, felt shivers up the spine on that one!!! LOL. Son of a gun, as I collected my self after that near miss, I was thinking I would have to enter that one in the disaster thread. PHEW!!

Be careful out there!!!!

My disaster

First kit, full of adrenaline, no patience, no thought process. Original eqipment was glass fermenting bottle and funnel. Insert funnel, open kit and start to pour.
Out pops funnel from air back draft. Only about 1/2 gallon of 6 gallon kit in bottle. Juice flying everywhere. I jumped back and dropped juice bag. Yep, more juice EVERYWHERE,
Wife gets home and this is what she sees.

Me in my skivvies, now purple. Purple legs. Purple socks, jeans and shirt going into washing machine.

I have a roll of paper towels trying to make purple washing machine, laundry tub cabinet and floor all look white again. 1/2 hour later three items are white. Time to start on the walls.

Room all cleaned up then time to clean me.

Skivvies into washing machine, 2nd time through process.

Do not try to picture a scrawny 60 yr old out of condition naked man with purple legs and feet walking through the house to the showers.

I thank God, wife did not grab a camera. Would have to pay off blackmail for rest of my life.:rn:)

Thats classic!! I think the wife needs to keep the camera handy, just in case you didn't learn your lesson and do it again!! LOL besides we would have loved to seen a shot of that Kodak Moment.

Last edited:
First kit, full of adrenaline, no patience, no thought process. Original eqipment was glass fermenting bottle and funnel. Insert funnel, open kit and start to pour.
Out pops funnel from air back draft. Only about 1/2 gallon of 6 gallon kit in bottle. Juice flying everywhere. I jumped back and dropped juice bag. Yep, more juice EVERYWHERE,
Wife gets home and this is what she sees.

Me in my skivvies, now purple. Purple legs. Purple socks, jeans and shirt going into washing machine.

I have a roll of paper towels trying to make purple washing machine, laundry tub cabinet and floor all look white again. 1/2 hour later three items are white. Time to start on the walls.

Room all cleaned up then time to clean me.

Skivvies into washing machine, 2nd time through process.

Do not try to picture a scrawny 60 yr old out of condition naked man with purple legs and feet walking through the house to the showers.

I thank God, wife did not grab a camera. Would have to pay off blackmail for rest of my life.:rn:)

Now thats funny right there. I don't care who you are. Thanks for the laugh!

Glad to hear another 60 year old can have so freakin' much fun!!

DUG, I still have visions of the wife walking in and he is purple with a paper towel in one hand with a blank look on his face realizing this can't be explained. I hope some day to meet an understanding woman like that!!!!

Boat, I think you are best to stay away from distilling, at least inside your home, some things can't be explained away.LOL

Love your story, I think you may lead the pack for disaster stories!!!

Troy

Last edited:
Brilliant!!, ok my turn, I have been a prat for 54 years its been a little while since my last er... lashup!, it was a good number of years ago but wives/significant others never forget:slp, it was at my mother inlaw to be's flat where I made my first gallon of raspberry wine almost, having picked a good amount of the red darlings I processed as best I could with minimal kit the fruity harvest, sufice to say not all the fibre was removed, it started to work and the CO2 clung to the fruit pulp in suspension in the DJ, it rose and formed a cap that plugged the bung and airlock, the pressure built and eventually was released as the bung flew skywards followed by the crimson tide of fermenting juice, the kitchen looked like the set of "Chainsaw Massacre" dripping with fruity gore!, even after cleanup and several coats of paint you could still detect the stains on walls and cieling.

here's a fifty, and your communion wine is rubish:h, sleeping now zzzzzzzz:sl

Wow, you guys got some good stories I hope I don't have to share about myself ever. Worst I have so far is about five dang tornado's during degassing. Thanks for sharing.:br

Lol. And you guys wonder why we woman have perfected THAT look!

Back