haskap berries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
has any one know about haskap berries also called honeyberries.
i stat wine making for my health ,i found out elderberry have many, many good things for arthritis, diabetes, your heat and several more things,
but last night i found a new berry to me that is,
according to many COLLEGE sites and tons more from growers and sellers i read all night ill mom ASKED IF I WAS EATING any breakfast , i was mortified till i looked at the clock, i had went home at 4PM and now it was 8AM, 14 hours of reading

check them out Haskap berries or honey berries, they look like blueberries,
the are suppose to be kin to Honeysuckle
i have order me a few 8 of 2 differet types i choll be the tart kindsise the 2 sweetest, before spring i'll order 8 more but they will be the tart type
DAWG
if any has tried them I would love to know more, oh an they say these gown in Alaska that's zone2 i live at their max which is zone7
DAWG

Last edited:
They do grow well here in Alaska. I'm
Hoping to get several bushes next spring. At a local greenhouse where I used to work, they have several. There also is a local berry farm/winery that grows them too. I'm really hoping that I can get ready for them. The ones I tasted at the greenhouse were good. I should stop by the winery and pick a bottle.

I have some up here in MO, zone 6.

They aren't growing terribly well. I've lost about 3 of them. Powdery mildew is a problem.

I suspect they would grow a lot better if I'd done a soil analysis and prepared the site better.

thank you i will check out Aronia, , i do lots of elderberries, but i saw the kaskap or honey berry and it will be arriving in February , i'll look to see where i can order some of them plants
THANK YOU
DAWG

We make a Blueberry/Honeyberry/Maple Syrup dry wine and this year did a pure Honeyberry. We get them from Wayside Farm just down the road.
http://www.greatnorthernberries.com/
Also Aronia berries (chokeberry). Google the health benefits of Aronia.

I bought some honeyberries and planted them this spring. 3 different varieties. They are just barely surviving. I'm in Southeast Missouri in zone 7 also. The place where I bought them from, Berries Unlimited in Arkansas warned me that they might not do well in zone 7. They are more suited to zone 5 or lower. When my order arrived there was something white on most of the plants. I e-mailed Berries Unlimited and asked if it was spray residue or I should assume it was powdery mildew. They never responded. It's funny, when I ask them about buying something, the response is within a few hours. I don't fault them for the powdery mildew if that's what it is, but they sure could have told me if it was residue from spray or not and helped me narrow it down. The shipping from them to me, a distance of about a 3 hour drive, took 4 or 5 days. It went some crazy route from their place in North Central Arkansas to Kansas City, to St. Louis, to Sikeston. Being sealed up in the dark for that long probably gave the mildew a huge boost.
Anyhow, they have just barely survived since I got them in May. I have tried to keep them watered to help them live through the heat here. I don't think they're going to work out for me.
I also have some aronia (chokeberries) and have made wine with them. They grow well here. I'm going to buy more chokeberries and pawpaw trees from Forrest Keeling Nursery http://www.fknursery.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/18/index.htm because they have this Root Production Method that gives you plants with highly developed root systems.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back