Has anyone used the screw-on fermenters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildSeedGrrrl

Reaction score
I was looking through the catalog by ECKraus and saw they had primary fermenters that screwed on, with a o-ring and a spigot. I was wondering if anyone had used these and if so were there problems and what were some of the advantages besides the obvious ones that were listed.

My concern is that the spigot area won't get clean enough and bacteria will build up, and that with the constant taking off and putting on to clean will weaken the seal.

I have about 4 primaries each 30 liter with a screw-on
lid and center hole for an airlock. The look about the same as the 9 gallon tanks from EC-Kraus only mine are round.

When I use them for pulp fermenting I do not use the lid but just throw a cheesecloth over the opening and fasten it with a rubber band.

But I have done some real fermenting inside these and then
I screwed on the lid and put the airlock up.

You can use them both ways.

They have a spigot and there is a stopper for available.
I never use the spigot.

When finished I rinse them with hot water and then fill them with about a gallon strong sulphite solution.
Never had problems with them.

Luc

I also have a 30litre with a spigot. I use it for cider, and do use the spigot for draining the juice away from the must head, before fermenting out in a demijohn> a good dose of boiling water through the spigot, followed up by a diluted bleach solution and a rinse, works fine to clean it out. Then use sulphites to clean before the next ferment.. Have used it to ferment out beers and wines with no problems at all.

Allie

Latest posts

Back