has anyone used quaternary cleaner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using quaternary cleaner only for all my cleaning but for the bottles I'm planning on using the one step cleaning and maybe even sterilizing in the oven for a couple hrs the day before any thoughts anyone ? This is a fresh fruit wine (Saskatoon's)

I've never heard of quaternary cleaner. My LHBS only carries One step. As far as sterilizing bottles I've read that 15 minutes at 195 degrees farenheit is sufficient.

Quaternary ammonium will sanitize (if that's the cleaner you are using), but I think you need to rinse after.

I use One Step to clean bottles, and then follow by putting the bottles in my dish washer, with no detergent, and running a sanitary cycle which gets the water temperature to 160F. This cycle has an NSF logo in the dish washer's manual, which means the NSF has certified the cycle will sanitize.

Putting the bottles in the oven long enough would certainly sanitize them, but if they overheat they could easily break (most glass is not oven safe). I would also be worried about the glass picking up off flavors from the oven (I guess it depends how clean your oven is, most of the time mine is pretty dirty).

I have used SO2 & citric acid solutions in the past to sanitize bottles, but at room temperatures these solutions are not great sanitizers.

Latest posts

Back