Has anyone used Ferment Armour?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
When I was checking my social media, there was an ad for something called Ferment Armour.

It has padding which protects the glass plus reduces light penetration, and has two handles which would remove the need for those neck handles.

It seems like a good idea but might a little gimicky. Does anyone own one of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as the protection is more than a new carboy, I'm not sure I'd be inclined to invest. Kinda cool though - especially if your bulk storage area is subject to temperature swings. That neoprene will keep things much more steady.

If you're moving your carboys around a lot - lets say up and down stairs from kitchen to basement - it looks like it would be a handy item to have.

Seeing as the protection is more than a new carboy, I'm not sure I'd be inclined to invest. Kinda cool though - especially if your bulk storage area is subject to temperature swings. That neoprene will keep things much more steady.

Now that you mention it, I totally forgot about the cost of the carboy! I'd think once you have enough carboys (which most of us don't have enough of) it might be a good investment. I'd mainly be interested because of the wild temperature swings of my house and not trusting the carboy handle (see below).

If you're moving your carboys around a lot - lets say up and down stairs from kitchen to basement - it looks like it would be a handy item to have.

Most definitely! After the carboy handle slipped off when I picked it up to move it to my bottling stand (lost about a bottles worth :slp), I promptly threw it in rage.

I like the "brewhauler", doesn't have as much protection as that one but it also is not as much.

I've had the "brewhauler" for years but haven't used it for awhile. I've taken to racking to a plastic carboy after degassing and clearing in a glass carboy. I'll rack one gallon to a plastic jug and carry both (carboy holding only ~5 gallons at this point) down to the basement where I'll add the gallon to the carboy, top off if necessary and airlock for bulk aging. Even for this 73 year old the plastic carboy containing only ~5 gallons of wine is easy to carry down without using my "brewhauler". Maybe I'll need it again when I'm 83?...
smilie.gif

Now that you mention it, I totally forgot about the cost of the carboy! I'd think once you have enough carboys (which most of us don't have enough of) it might be a good investment. I'd mainly be interested because of the wild temperature swings of my house and not trusting the carboy handle (see below).

Most definitely! After the carboy handle slipped off when I picked it up to move it to my bottling stand (lost about a bottles worth :slp), I promptly threw it in rage.
Did you pick up a full carboy using a handle that attaches around the neck? If so, that is not advised. Be glad you lost only about a bottle's worth and not the whole thing courtesy of a busted carboy.

Latest posts

Back