Has anyone made sumac wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, here I go again. :h

Has anyone made sumac wine? I have a plethora of staghorn sumac. It makes a delicious tea, beautiful color, seems a natural for wine. Wondering if it's worthwhile.

And I may do a lemon balm wine only because the damn thing is so invasive and I can't get rid of it. It's pleasant and I do use the leaves but I dig it up and the following year it's in half a dozen other places.

Hey Dave, yup, birds will spread sumac seeds all over the place. Never thought about making wine from the berries but may give it a try this year. I have enjoyed "sumac lemonade" since childhood. For any of those not familiar with sumac, BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have staghorn sumac and not poison sumac - a plant that causes the same type of reaction as poison oak and ivy.

Hey Dave, yup, birds will spread sumac seeds all over the place. Never thought about making wine from the berries but may give it a try this year. I have enjoyed "sumac lemonade" since childhood. For any of those not familiar with sumac, BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have staghorn sumac and not poison sumac - a plant that causes the same type of reaction as poison oak and ivy.
When I first moved here 15 years ago I started identifying trees and then moved on to the understory plants. Birds and wildlife are fantastic for spreading seeds and every year I find something new.
Yes, positive identification is so very important. I have a few plants that are toxic - you'll be sick for sure. Also have a couple that will send you to the Great Hereafter in a couple hours.

Yes. Stay away from the water hemlock wine!
Haven't seen water hemlock but I do have poison hemlock. Similar but different. First spotted about 5 years ago. Didn't know what it was so I left it alone - it's somewhat attractive. It also spreads easily. My bad. Dig them up whenever I spot them.

Yes I have done sumach, it has nice acid, it has nice pink color that stays in solution, it clears well. Sumach is low on aromatics, it looks dirty in the primary, it takes a bit of learning to become efficient destemming berries, the stem bark has tannin which can be useful.

consider formulating a wine where you blend an aromatic/fruity juice that is low on acid and where the color drops out, ,, for example watermelon juice mixed with the sumach berries instead of water.

Yes I have done sumach, it has nice acid, it has nice pink color that stays in solution, it clears well. Sumach is low on aromatics, it looks dirty in the primary, it takes a bit of learning to become efficient destemming berries, the stem bark has tannin which can be useful.

consider formulating a wine where you blend an aromatic/fruity juice that is low on acid and where the color drops out, ,, for example watermelon juice mixed with the sumach berries instead of water.
That's a good idea!
I have 3 or 4 sumac patches so I'll have a boatload to use. I like the tea so I'll defintely do a gallon of pure sumac. My watermelons are a different matter. I either have very good years or very bad, nothing in between.

Did you make your Sumac wine last year @BigDaveK? I made 4 batches - 2 bigger & 2 smaller. I’m enjoying it now.. and hoping to do more this year.
Some I made has future potential. Some is blend-worthy ;) I steeped some in hot water with the sticks- ( what every recipe said NOT TO DO!! It is very tanin-full :} but aging
nicely.

Did you make your Sumac wine last year @BigDaveK? I made 4 batches - 2 bigger & 2 smaller. I’m enjoying it now.. and hoping to do more this year.
Some I made has future potential. Some is blend-worthy ;) I steeped some in hot water with the sticks- ( what every recipe said NOT TO DO!! It is very tanin-full :} but aging
nicely.
No, darn it!
I have 3 patches of sumac and none of them went to flower last year! I don't understand!? I've made tea and "lemonade" over the years and was certainly hoping to do wine. I've been watching them this year and it's not looking good, Still crossing my fingers.

On the other hand, my honeysuckle has super flavor and super fragrance this year.

Congratulations! (And I'm jealous!)

No, darn it!
I have 3 patches of sumac and none of them went to flower last year! I don't understand!? I've made tea and "lemonade" over the years and was certainly hoping to do wine. I've been watching them this year and it's not looking good, Still crossing my fingers.

On the other hand, my honeysuckle has super flavor and super fragrance this year.

Congratulations! (And I'm jealous!)
I don’t have any Sumac patches- but found some along a bike trail and from a few friends. I also made a small batch of combined Sumac and Wild Grapes that were growing near by.
Honeysuckle sounds really interesting.
Keep us posted on that!

Latest posts

Back