Has anyone made or bought carboy covers / cozy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
I'm having a friends daughter make me some and I was wondering if anyone who has tried them could give me any do or don't . I'm thinking of some for warmth & some just to keep the light out .I was thinking along the lines of a wrap around with a velcro closing then I could adjust for slight difference in shape of carboy easier .

Yeah i wrap mine in blankets now but kind of ugly so wanted to make real covers neater looking and easy to use .

Somewhere on one of the forums, somebody provided instructions for turning old (or ugly) sweaters into carboy covers. We moved last year so we got rid of the old/ugly sweaters that we had. Keeping my eye on Freecycle to see if I can pick some up.

Looks liked I stored the info on my other computer. So if I remember and can figure it out, I'll post more info later.

Steve

I use black (empty of course :p) garbage bags.

Luc

Somewhere on one of the forums, somebody provided instructions for turning old (or ugly) sweaters into carboy covers. We moved last year so we got rid of the old/ugly sweaters that we had. Keeping my eye on Freecycle to see if I can pick some up.

Looks liked I stored the info on my other computer. So if I remember and can figure it out, I'll post more info later.

Steve

Thanks I would appreciate that .I did a search here but nothing came up .

Why

Someone want to fill in the uneducated on why covering your carboys is necessary? I am working on the assumption that everyone would keep their carboys out of the sunlight.

MadMike has already suggested wrapping with a towel. A buddy of mine does that. Here's a pic

Steve

Gord's Carboy Towel 1412.jpg

I usually just keep my arms wrapped around them!!! LOL

I remember someone saying wrapping a "space" blanket around them works well. Those are the silverish thin blankets you can get at any sporting good store. Personally I think just slipping a t-shirt or sweater around them would be fine. Save your money and effort on fancy covers and use those resources to make more wine/beer.

If anyone starts asking on what to name their carboys, they have gone to far!!

Troy

Troy thats funny but if you had alot going you could make name tags for with the type of wine :D . I do have a cool/hot bag you can carry groceries that I got at the $ store but it doesn't wrap all the way around and 2 would be bulky . Think it was here I saw someone had white shirts and the funny noses with glasses on thier carboys cracked me up but thought it wouldn't work well the keep light out .

Next time you buy a carboy save the box and just cut a hole in the top for the neck to protrude and cut some off the bottom. This way you can monitor the airlock to make sure its doensnt run out of solution.

Sorry Troy, but I talk to my carboys. How's Mr. Chardonnay and Ms. Chenin Blanc. How are the twins Chianti and Cabernet doing today.

For the record....they don't answer!

Latest posts

Back