Has anyone made lilac wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop me before I make another wine!
Just kidding! That's crazy talk.

Over the years I've dug and transplanted suckers so now I have 12 or so lilac bushes spread around. I harvest the flowers for a couple uses but wine will need a LOT more than I usually save. Starting to bloom and the smell is EVERYWHERE! Old threads here weren't very helpful. I was wondering if any current members have made it. It wasn't on my to-do list so I'm kind of wishy washy about proceeding.

Any opinions?

I've thought about it many times; but then I look at the work involved in separating the blossoms. I then choose to use Hibiscus flowers or Rose petals.

Stop me before I make another wine!
Just kidding! That's crazy talk.

Over the years I've dug and transplanted suckers so now I have 12 or so lilac bushes spread around. I harvest the flowers for a couple uses but wine will need a LOT more than I usually save. Starting to bloom and the smell is EVERYWHERE! Old threads here weren't very helpful. I was wondering if any current members have made it. It wasn't on my to-do list so I'm kind of wishy washy about proceeding.

Any opinions?
I have never made lilac wine. I have thought about making or flavoring an apple, or peach ferment using Rose of Sharon ( Hibiscus syriacus). I have a few in my yard. Supposedly the flowers are edible and leaves are used for tea. You know for medicinal purposes.
https://www.myteadrop.com/blogs/news/hibiscus-tea-benefits

I've thought about it many times; but then I look at the work involved in separating the blossoms. I then choose to use Hibiscus flowers or Rose petals.
Did you make wine out of Rose of Sharon? If so how did it turn out?
I have a few Rose of Sharon in my yard. A few have double blooms.

I have never made lilac wine. I have thought about making or flavoring an apple, or peach ferment using Rose of Sharon ( Hibiscus syriacus). I have a few in my yard. Supposedly the flowers are edible and leaves are used for tea. You know for medicinal purposes.
https://www.myteadrop.com/blogs/news/hibiscus-tea-benefits
Rose of Sharon is Hibiscus syriacus . The variety used for hibiscus tea is Hibiscus sabdariffa. I have plenty of Rose of Sharon but I don't think I would try to make tea or wine from the flowers. I don't think they are poisonous but I can't find out and I'm not willing to be the test dummy.

I use real hibiscus tea in my hard lemonade. It gives it a nice flavor and color. I use hibiscus tea bags and make a strong brew. I might give that a try to ferment.

Rose of Sharon isn't poisonous. It's also on Keller's list of edible flowers but I don't think he made wine with it.

I have Rose of Sharon. Is it possible to only have a few? I pull hundreds of seedlings every year. I even have some growing under black walnut trees which is supposed to put something in the soil to prevent other things from growing.

Yes, it would be work!
I have a dandelion wine in secondary, I knew it would be work, but so many people said it can be wonderful. Besides, I think everyone has to try dandelion wine at least once.
The lilac? Maybe next year...

Did you make wine out of Rose of Sharon? If so how did it turn out?
I have a few Rose of Sharon in my yard. A few have double blooms.
I don't know what kind of Hibiscus flowers - just bought them from the local health food store. They make an excellent wine. Made it with Heather once and with Dill a number of times.

I have made lilac wine a couple times. The flowery taste of the lilac is very light. I do not plan to make any more this year as even though I like it, there are lots of other things I like more. I feel the same about dandelion. Other people like that i made it though, i think for the novelty of it.

I used the lilac wine recipe found on a website called "Leslieland" or something similar. The process included picking each individual flower of the stem to make an lilac tea. We learned from making a few batches that lilac flowers ripen to point where they are easy to pick, but not wilted. Too early and it is a pain to pluck them off.

The flowers need to be turned into tea quickly; my first batch the flowers went bad before I had the tea made even though I tried to keep them cool. (I picked them the night before and got them home the following evening)

If you have the flowers, I'd say try making a one gallon batch and open the first bottle right before lilac season next year. That will give you a reference if you want to make more.

Hope that helps with the original question.

I have made lilac wine a couple times. The flowery taste of the lilac is very light. I do not plan to make any more this year as even though I like it, there are lots of other things I like more. I feel the same about dandelion. Other people like that i made it though, i think for the novelty of it.

I used the lilac wine recipe found on a website called "Leslieland" or something similar. The process included picking each individual flower of the stem to make an lilac tea. We learned from making a few batches that lilac flowers ripen to point where they are easy to pick, but not wilted. Too early and it is a pain to pluck them off.

The flowers need to be turned into tea quickly; my first batch the flowers went bad before I had the tea made even though I tried to keep them cool. (I picked them the night before and got them home the following evening)

If you have the flowers, I'd say try making a one gallon batch and open the first bottle right before lilac season next year. That will give you a reference if you want to make more.

Hope that helps with the original question.
Thank you! Yes, it does help!
Too many time sensitive garden things to get done quick. Lilac wine might have to wait till next year but if I can swing it in the next couple of days...

Latest posts

Back