Has anyone ever used Amoretti Blood orange purée to make wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bade50

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve made wine and beads from all sorts of ingredients. From sour patch candy to many different fruits. I ended getting a gallon of Blood orange purée made by Amoretti VERY cheap. I know it’s used to flavor in brewing, after fermentation is finished, but has anyone ever used it as a base for primary? It’s ingredients are water, cane sugar, dextrose, fructose, orange, natural flavor, and plant extractives. So nothing that would inhibit fermentation, but I don’t want to waste a gallon of this stuff because at retail price I’d never even buy it. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this product?

I have no idea. But if I was gifted with it, I’d ferment it, not for the purpose of drinking it straight, but for blending with others down the road. Maybe that’s similar to how it’s used for brewing. Sort of.

I have no idea. But if I was gifted with it, I’d ferment it, not for the purpose of drinking it straight, but for blending with others down the road. Maybe that’s similar to how it’s used for brewing. Sort of.
I know, from posts online, that it’s used as a flavor additive in brewing mainly but I bought it for $2 and figured I’d add it to a wine recipe at some point. But, even though it was cheap, I don’t want to waste it making something I’ll regret making (like goji berry wine from dried goji berries…. Yuck! That one did not go well).

I have no experience with blood orange juice, and agree with Bob -- ferment it to see what happens. It might be good on it's own, or it might make a good blending wine. Or cooking wine -- the flavor should be interesting.

I have made wine with canned orange puree and a second batch with fresh blood oranges which we pureed. Used white grape juice to make up the difference in volume for a 6-gallon batch. First batch was delicious. Second batch is not yet done; a little sour, but I'm working on it. Added a home-made cinnamon/clove extract to make it a fall/winter wine.

Last edited:
Back