Has anyone ever built their own press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I'm thinking about moving from kits to fresh fruits (making wine, ciders, fruit wines) and building my own fruit press. There's a local business which lets you use their materials and tools for free, which easily keeps the cost down.

Has anyone built their own press or have any schematics? I typically make 3-6 gallons of wine, but if I were to make cider, that's a different beast with the amount/size of apples.

This press is basically threaded rod and a bar clamp. The basket is PVC pipe, circles and a nylon straining bag. Have wanted to try a pneumatic cylinder on it but haven’t gotten around to this.
F1AA7FEB-2123-40EA-ACD1-949706DED2A9.jpeg

The write up of this was in wine maker August 2017.
Mom used to juice with a flour sack hanging from a cabinet, , :re, , too much work. I wouldn’t go through harvest without a press so I can get other things done. Yes I have done up to a 25 liter carboy, grape, apple, mulberry, rhurbarb, etc.

Over in the current thread about making your own racks, there was mentioned the
book “The Homebuilt Winery”. This has plans/directions for building a crusher and press. I just got this book via the library, not sure I need much other than the racking jig info, so like won't buy it. Most of the equipment is either something that I have or don't need. Almost all the larger projects assume you want a way to put your woodworking equipment to work.

There are lots of very functional DIY approaches for small batch wine pressing. The bucket press is great and incorporating a hydraulic jack with some bracing can make it pretty easy to work with.

This press is $100 and i’ve used it for a handful of seasons doing multiple pressings of batches up to six buckets of must.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0115542X4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XBnjEbHHBPD7A
F4EBC6E0-C923-4621-B6AA-326504F32F23.jpeg

This press is basically threaded rod and a bar clamp. The basket is PVC pipe, circles and a nylon straining bag. Have wanted to try a pneumatic cylinder on it but haven’t gotten around to this.
View attachment 58327

The write up of this was in wine maker August 2017.
Mom used to juice with a flour sack hanging from a cabinet, , :re, , too much work. I wouldn’t go through harvest without a press so I can get other things done. Yes I have done up to a 25 liter carboy, grape, apple, mulberry, rhurbarb, etc.
How much force can the hand clamp generate? How many pounds of fruit can it process in one batch?

A lot of us have made our own bucket press.

Three buckets, spigot and a beer bag... easy peasy.

View attachment 58326

Photo isn’t showing for some reason.
DIY Bucket press great tho. Worked well until I got myself a proper press. Pressing apples tho, that’s a whole other ballgame! Would need to pack on a few lbs.

Adjustments.JPG
03EB4EEA-CEFD-462B-9A45-E481562EE937.jpg

How much force can the hand clamp generate? How many pounds of fruit can it process in one batch?
* the clamp in the photo is rated at 250 lbs force. Smaller clamps have lower ratings so read the package when you buy one. This used a modern “reverse operation bar clamp” which is also used for clamping wood on occasion.
* The 2017 write up used 6 inch pipe, volume calculated to about 2 gallons. In use the cake winds up as about 20% volume so by compressing and adding more I managed to collect 6 gallons of must from the 6 inch D 20 inch L tube. the photo has 8 inch pipe found at Habitat Restore. Calculated volume is 3.6
gallons and I haven’t needed to find the maximum capacity with it.
* All presses work against geometry, a thin tall 6 inch tube will press faster than this 8 inch tube which is faster than the 9.5 inch/squat traditional wood press. To increase press efficiency it helps to mix the cake. This reduces the distance juice travels. The thought with a pneumatic cylinder is I wouldn’t check the pressure every 15 minutes. It seems that pressure is an inverse log function, geometry is more important.
* when I first put parts together I tried building a model of a horizontal plant style bladder press. Couldn’t get it to work so I repurposed to traditional horizontal.
* Every year has new tweeks as rubber bands & clips to hold the nylon bag up or cutting a circle of mesh with spacers to allow the basket to stand above the liquid level. Yes it is in a 3 gallon peanut butter bucket with a 3/8 inch tube.

Guess I sin, , I build toys. .:slp

With a little imagination and some welding skills it’s easy to make your own wine press, and you can make it the right size for your operation.

Wine Press 8.jpg

I found a worm gear on some old farm equipment, gathered up some stainless scrap, and I was on my way. I attached a pipe “T” to the end of the worm gear so I could insert a broomstick to serve as my handle. My pressing bucket is a strip of 1/2 inch perforated steel formed into an open cylinder. It is sized to fit a large pressing bag I got from Lehman's non-electric Hardware Catalog.

The lower end of the worm gear is attached to a 6-inch circle of 3/4 inch plate steel, which in turn presses a 13-inch circle of 2-inch thick umhw polyethylene block.

I never measured how much the pressing bucket holds, but it’s about 30 pounds of crushed fruit.

My catch pan and drain rest on the horizontal part of my A-frame, which takes most of the considerable downward pressure.

It’s a fun project while we wait for the first fruits of Spring.

Thanks for the advice! This is why I love WMT :) The buckets are a great idea and seem to be the most economical method, particularly with the small batches I make, but I'd just love to build something from scratch.

The local business I mentioned has pretty much everything I'd need (minus the thread assembly). They've got wood and metal shops, have teachers (I don't think any of them have built presses though), and a lot of it has been donated. Even the wineries around here have donated old barrels which you can tear down for parts! Heck, maybe I could make my own barrels ;)

Made a cider press with a friend of mine last year. The screw was found on Amazon as a book press screw. We already had all the red oak laying around, so our total investment was about $40 for hardware and the steel bands. It actually worked well for pressing apples. A longer handle for leverage would have been nice.
I would consider buying the $100 press off of Amazon if I were to do it again, as that would save me a lot of time. I do like woodworking, but I have at least 10 other projects I want to work on.

If you are interested in learning to build barrels Tillers International puts on classes every year. You do need to take a straight stave coopering class first. I had plans to take the barrel class but life got in the way. Maybe next year.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_081926_01.jpg
    IMG_20200123_081926_01.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back