Harvesting Marquette

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by SundownVineyard, Aug 15, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 15, 2019 #1

SundownVineyard

SundownVineyard

SundownVineyard

I am in Connecticut zone 6 and I have some marquette vines that are at about 17 Brix. Being new to this, my main question is how do I know exactly when is best to harvest them? Do I keep testing them until brix have stopped increasing? What Brix level are they capable of producing in my area? Thanks.

2. Aug 15, 2019 #2

GreginND

GreginND

GreginND

Super Moderator Super Moderator

You should be able to easily get them up to 23 or 24 Brix which is where I like them. They can get higher also. The most important thing is to check the pH and do not pick when the pH is too low. It should be at least 3.2 or even a little higher if possible.

SundownVineyard likes this.
  3. Aug 15, 2019 #3

SundownVineyard

SundownVineyard

SundownVineyard

Thanks for the reply! I didnt know I had to test the pH, I'm glad you told me!

4. Aug 16, 2019 #4

KevinL

KevinL

KevinL

When I'm harvesting I check all 3: pH, TA and Brix. I've found that TA is one of the more useful numbers to have, as managing the acid is one of my main goals in the winery.

The standard of pH x pH x Brix > 250 should work if you're not inclined to do titration to get the TA.

BigH likes this.
  5. Aug 16, 2019 #5

BigH

BigH

BigH

Marquette is one variety where I usually don't bother with TA until I measure the must. For me pH, brix, and berry appearance (not raisining) are the primary harvest parameters. 3.1 is the highest I have managed to get the pH in 3 seasons. Measured yesterday at 19 brix, and 2.87 pH. Important to get that pH into a safe zone for the yeast.

@SundownVineyard , a pH meter like this is essential, if you don't already have one.
    https://morewinemaking.com/products/milwaukee-ph-meter-watc.html

H