Harvest or not?

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by VANDOVJV11, Sep 13, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Sep 13, 2019 #1

VANDOVJV11

VANDOVJV11

VANDOVJV11

Junior

I hate to bother you who are more experienced and professional with my question. I have some Glenora grapes (only 4 plants) which have made some good wine in the past. Right now they are measuring 15.5 brix. Unfortunately I will be leaving for about 3 weeks and I don't think they will hold till I return due to weather and a yellow jacket infestation. Should I pick now and add sugar or just write this year off for these grapes? Thanks

2. Sep 13, 2019 #2

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I’m not familiar with the grapes, but if you think it will be a total loss in 3 weeks, why not give it a tru and make a rose style wine. Bright, fruity, no oak.

3. Sep 13, 2019 #3

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

never through grapes away. pick and add sugar and tannin if a red. if a white check you acid and ph might be off because of high acid.

4. Sep 13, 2019 #4

wfournier

wfournier

wfournier

Junior

From what I found on google Glonora is a seedless table variety not a wine grape. Given that you are not too far off the brix levels for table grapes (17-19), what brix have you gotten to in the past?