Harford Vineyard Now Offering Rattlesnake Hill Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local place appears to have these as well this year. The Pinot and Cab are tempting but as you said, the price is high.

I am going to have to drive up there one day to try them out. Down here near Frederick MD, not too far to drive out!

But the prices are double so the Cabernet is $77 for a 36lb lug.

Understood. These are better quality grapes, similar to some of the nicer stuff you can get your hands on from Brehm and Musto, those must pails of Cab / PS sell for $200 and up, way up. Roughly three lugs to two pails, so 1.5 lugs per pail, you're already over $75 for a lug. Add $20 per pail for insulated packing, $35 per pail for shipping, it drives the price up. It's worth the money, for me, to buy the better grapes, if I had a short drive for great quality grapes, even at $2 a pound, I'd be saving a fortune in my winemaking.

That was really my point, that the blessing is the easy access, when you don't have it, you pay through the nose to get good grapes. But you can't make great wine from mediocre grapes.

It's worth the money, for me, to buy the better grapes, if I had a short drive for great quality grapes, even at $2 a pound, I'd be saving a fortune in my winemaking.

Agreed - I'm in the same boat. Would love top quality grapes at $2/lb.

Supply/Demand thing.

Looking at both, Gino pinto in jersey has mostly all the same stuff as Harford And The Rattlesnake Hill grapes are available too. Out of 80+ varietals from 15+ vineyards, Wash state Cab franc is the only grape already sold out. That alone makes me want it.

They also have a Cab Sav from Sonoma at $120 a lug. ......maybe one day.

My main spot is the exact opposite. And simple. One option for each varietal- probably from just a few different vineyards. Won't even find out for a couple more weeks. They sell grapes in the $35-$40/lug range. And Regina juice pails. No pre-sales. Cash only. Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Back