Hard cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cider problem,
I started a batch of cider using a very similar recipe as above but the fermentation took several weeks. I racked it last night and the sulfur smell is terrible. I'm not even certain if it will be any good at this point although it did ferment dry. Do any of you know how I can remove the sulfur smell and taste of is this destined for the drain?

I have a similar recipe going now with unpasturized cider from a local orchard.
However, my recipe specifically said not to put the spices in right off the bat or it will ruin the flavor and make it taste bad. Anybody had an experience with that? Just curious......as that's not quite what I'm reading.

I hate honey....but the maple syrup might be interesting. Also, mine called for less brown sugar, so I might throw some more in there....

Thanks!:br

So.... I have a similar recipe going minus the cloves, cinnamon sticks, honey, and raisins, What is meant by "stabilize" ? What do you add to stabilize it after racking? OR do you just check the SG to make sure it's stabilized? It's not a part of my recipe.

Also, currently in the primary, it has a rather funky smell......Normal?

Back