Hard cider TOSNA issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradowsk

Reaction score
I got a gallon of fresh pressed cider from my local orchard (UV pasteurized, but otherwise completely natural). I'm making a hard cider with it and was going to follow the TOSNA-3 schedule to add nutrients since I read cider wouldn't have all the nutrients needed for yeast (EC-1118).

My OG was 1.070, making the 1/3rd sugar break 1.047. I pitched last Sunday (with GoFerm), and added my first Fermaid-O addition on Monday. However, on Tuesday I got an SG of 1.042, which is passed the 1/3rd sugar break, so I didn't add any more FermO.

Now, the cider is dry (SG 1.002) but I'm getting a moderate hint of Sulphur when I rack or swirl the cider, which I have never had with any wine or mead I've made before.

Should I have added (or should add) the other FermO additions? Will this smell go away with time/degassing or do I need to take further actions?

Should I have added (or should add) the other FermO additions? Will this smell go away with time/degassing or do I need to take further actions?
Yeast under stress will produce sulphites. Looks like your ferment is done so this year adding won’t help. When I have made sulphites they dissipated with time/ degassing.
Next year add FermO or another trick is lower the fermentation temp which reduces competition for nutrients.

Yeast under stress will produce sulphites. Looks like your ferment is done so this year adding won’t help. When I have made sulphites they dissipated with time/ degassing.
Next year add FermO or another trick is lower the fermentation temp which reduces competition for nutrients.

Well I did add FermO, but only 1 addition since the ferment went so fast. Basement was about 70F during this time.

So that was my question: should I have added more nutrient even past the 1/3rd break, or maybe added more up-front instead of breaking it into 3 steps?

Most guidelines are general in nature, so I would have added the second dose Fermaid O at 1.042, that's close enough. I've heard nutrient cut-off points of 12 brix, 10 brix, and as low as 5 brix depending on starting brix as well as other fermentation conditions. For grape wine I stick to 10 brix, anything lower than that I would do a small bench trial first to see if nutrient addition helps reduce H2S. With cider you may have a little more wiggle room because the ABV isn't as high as typical grape wine.

Guess I'll just have to wait it out at this point and degas a few times.

Related question: I was planning to naturally carbonate this cider by adding some apple concentrate before bottling. How long can I put that off and not have to add more yeast?

I have not carbonated intentionally. Back sweetening has carbonated at six months or less and usually, but is safe at nine, , but a few have carbonated.
Yeast inavtivates at low temp and has good shelf life. (ex frozen bread dough) Yeast dies relatively fast with high temp (see the max temp specification for your yeast).
Curious how your process turns out, this year I am playing with bitter apple flavors. With fruit I am guessing it weeps out pectin, awfully thick.

Latest posts

Back