HarborFreight vacuum pump problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone using this to rack have a problem with it quitting? I used it one time to rack 5g. Maybe 5 minutes of use? Put it away tried to use it about 4 wks later. No pumping action or noise other than a clicking sound. Any ideas?
Don’t have a receipt to take it back now. There was oil in it but not to the fill mark- could it have seized up with that short use?
Joe

Clicking is a likely sound from being seized as the motor kicks off on the overload. If there is any part you can get to and give it a push/turn to free it up, try that first.

Edit. These things aren't really made to take lots of moisture in the oil. Years ago I had a pump that had to be changed every use. It was just a few ounces and that was the design to make sure people did maintenance and always had fresh oil. Still, one racking shouldn't have been enough unless you got actual liquid into the pump. That said, I'm very careful about what I get from that place. Usually things like tools I need on a single use basis and don't want to pay top dollar.

I've been using mine for years, racked / degassed hundreds of carboys during that time, never had an issue. Do you have an intermediate reservoir to catch any liquid that might get sucked into the pump? Think I'd try what was suggested above, on one end you can get a small screwdriver into the grating and turn the fan in there, might just need to be freed up. Make sure to keep your oil levels up to the fill mark on the unit.

Joe, did you buy that within the 90 days? I "think" that is the return deadline. And even if you don't have a receipt, they usually ask for your telephone number at the time you purchase it, so if you supplied that to them at that time you may still be in luck.
I have one and have used it to degass/transfer for my past 8 kits or so. No issues here, though.

Clicking is a likely sound from being seized as the motor kicks off on the overload. If there is any part you can get to and give it a push/turn to free it up, try that first.

Edit. These things aren't really made to take lots of moisture in the oil. Years ago I had a pump that had to be changed every use. It was just a few ounces and that was the design to make sure people did maintenance and always had fresh oil. Still, one racking shouldn't have been enough unless you got actual liquid into the pump. That said, I'm very careful about what I get from that place. Usually things like tools I need on a single use basis and don't want to pay top dollar.

i will give that a try. Thx

No water entered the pump. I even drained the oil and it’s a clear clean oil as you would expect from such a short use. I will try to free it today. Will let you know.

Thx for your help. That fan was stuck for some reason. I removed the protection cover around it and tried to move it but it didn’t feel like it moved at all. But when I turned the pump on it moved fine and created vacuum. Not sure why that happened but I’m back in business. How often should the oil be changed?
Joe

Thx for your help. That fan was stuck for some reason. I removed the protection cover around it and tried to move it but it didn’t feel like it moved at all. But when I turned the pump on it moved fine and created vacuum. Not sure why that happened but I’m back in business. How often should the oil be changed?
Joe

When I got mine, it had enough oil for two fillings, I'm still on my first filling, and don't plan to change the oil unless it changes colors or gets water in it. It just doesn't get a whole lot of use compared to one that spends its life vacuuming out refrigeration lines........

I purchased the air powered vac pump from Harbor Freight, took the housing off and installed the fittings needed to hookup the hoses. I installed an inline ball valve and a vac gauge to control and monitor the pressure. Works perfect for a dime! If you don’t have an air compressor to power the vac pump H F has those too and still won’t break the bank! An electric vac pump is great, just kinda pricey for a good one. Mine saves me from having to lift a full carboy!

Latest posts

Back