Happy Birhday Ibglowin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy belated birthday Mike! hope you had a good one and enjoyed your big reds!! And in case I missed your birthday Steve Happy belated to you also!

Last edited:
As promised pics of the big feast from last night! Couple more steaks from the cow we went in on with our BFF's. That was one Ginormous Rib Eye! LOL The wine was not too shabby either. 2008 Gorman Winery Albatross. Cabernet Sauvignon from Red Mountain. Only 95pts WS.

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Thanks guys! You know me too well. Definitely a big hunk-o-meat for dinner cooked over some pecan and looking in the cellar for something equally as big to pair it with. Decision, decisions! LOL

Mike,
Rereading the post. You mentioned cooking over pecan? I see in one photo what looks like a pecan topped dessert? You grilled the meat with pecan wood or added the shells to fire?

Edit for typos.

We have some good friends who live down south of us in Las Cruces, NM. They are retired but own a 25 acre pecan orchard and every time we go down for a weekend visit he loads me up with some nice pieces of pecan that are just the perfect size for the Weber or my smoker pit. I use charcoal as the bed and once the fire is ready I add a stick of pecan on top of the coals. I used to think mesquite was the best until I got ahold of some pecan. The flavor and smoke is incredible. If you can get your hands on some you won't regret it. Some of the best BBQ I have ever tasted. :p :hug

We have some good friends who live down south of us in Las Cruces, NM. They are retired but own a 25 acre pecan orchard and every time we go down for a weekend visit he loads me up with some nice pieces of pecan that are just the perfect size for the Weber or my smoker pit. I use charcoal as the bed and once the fire is ready I add a stick of pecan on top of the coals. I used to think mesquite was the best until I got ahold of some pecan. The flavor and smoke is incredible. If you can get your hands on some you won't regret it. Some of the best BBQ I have ever tasted. :p :hug

It's great on beef.

You can also use shells or whole pecans. Not as much of a smoky flavor, but it is still really good.

Go figure, Amazon is now carrying 5lb bags of Weber branded Pecan chunks and its Prime!

710h86AdqhL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I smoke brisket will always use s mix of both cherry and applewood

Steve

I have used cherry on occasion as well. We have several neighbors close by that have old cherry trees and I always take the dead limbs off their hands LOL

It imparts a really sweet/smokey flavor to the meat, more so than anything else I think.

I make a mean pork tenderloin that is marinaded overnight in a blackberry/habanero syrup mixture. Cook that over some cherry wood and you have something really special!

I have used cherry on occasion as well. We have several neighbors close by that have old cherry trees and I always take the dead limbs off their hands LOL

It imparts a really sweet/smokey flavor to the meat, more so than anything else I think.

I make a mean pork tenderloin that is marinaded overnight in a blackberry/habanero syrup mixture. Cook that over some cherry wood and you have something really special!

That sounds awesome.

BTW: Thanksgiving turkey is great with apple wood and a touch of cherry.

Latest posts

Back