Happy and Prosperous 2019 to all

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
I haven't been around too much the past few months and when I have I seem to be posting in wrong threads and not really keeping up with conversations.

Little unfocused with major changes these days. Pretty much been working straight since I've been 13. Now at 56 and after 20 years at company I find myself unemployed. Cold web commercial printer closed it's doors on 11/30 after 66 years in business. 180 people lost their jobs. Company struggled the last 10 years, knew it was coming so some of us weren't surprised. Printing business continues to contract.

So now at 56 I have the prospect of looking for a new job or new career. Been writing manufacturing software code and managing It departments for almost 30 year. Not sure I want to do this any more, so burnt out on it all. Plus my age doesn't help but at least what I do is still in demand.

Looking at these options so far 1. stay with current career, find new position 2. Turn up part-time photography business 3. Freelance Coding/IT work 4. become a vintner 5. some combo of the above

While I would like to resume weekly paychecks/income as soon as possible I can survive 8-12 months without and will explore all realistic passive income opportunities in the meantime. Also feel I need a little time off for decompression. A few months free of 24/7 systems/work responsibility would be nice.

I also have my health, basement full of aging wine and a fantastic woman, I feel very fortunate despite the unemployment.

Thanks for letting me vent and for all the great wine making advise.

Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous 2019.

So sorry to hear Paul, I've noticed you haven't been on much. Sometimes things happen for the better and seeing you were not really enjoying what you were doing it might be a blessing in disguise. You're too smart of a guy to not make this work to your benefit plus you do have a fantastic woman. Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

I'd see if I could find a position here at Fry for you (commercial printer), but we've been contracting as well. Eerily quiet lately, and at 56 I'm in the same sort of situation you are, at least you have the photography background. I guess I could become a nanny for a well to do couple. I can cook, clean and do laundry really well. Hoping my wife finishes her degree and I can retire before the same thing happens to me.

I raise my glass to Paul and everyone here on this forum, may this coming year be a better year and bring more opportunities than the last!

Thanks and I hope y'all have a good 2019 also :) Pgentile, I also am 56 and not-so-gainfully unemployed (ex-truck driver and printing business). So pretty much it has nowhere to go BUT up. They have me on disability but the way it is set up it seems like they want you to stay there. I can't make more than 1180 a month or they will take me off disability (and Medicare) altogether (and at that they take back 50% of what you make), and in order to make my nut I need to make almost 40k full time with benefits. I wouldn't advise it if anyone is considering it. End of rant, Happy 2019 :)

Commiserations on your employment situation, pgentile. I wish you luck and good fortune in the next few months. May 2019 bring you better news than 2018 brought you as it ended.

Sometimes things happen for the better and seeing you were not really enjoying what you were doing it might be a blessing in disguise.
I second what @mainshipfred said - that open door will soon appear and when you look back, you will realize what a blessing the lay-off was. Until then, go into the cellar and enjoy a glass while researching your options. Wishing everyone an awesome 2019!

So sorry to hear Paul, I've noticed you haven't been on much. Sometimes things happen for the better and seeing you were not really enjoying what you were doing it might be a blessing in disguise. You're too smart of a guy to not make this work to your benefit plus you do have a fantastic woman. Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

Yah, I'm ready for new things. I've been going sideways for years. Thanks

I'd see if I could find a position here at Fry for you (commercial printer), but we've been contracting as well. Eerily quiet lately, and at 56 I'm in the same sort of situation you are, at least you have the photography background. I guess I could become a nanny for a well to do couple. I can cook, clean and do laundry really well. Hoping my wife finishes her degree and I can retire before the same thing happens to me.

I raise my glass to Paul and everyone here on this forum, may this coming year be a better year and bring more opportunities than the last!

Thanks, but going to steer clear of the printing business for the future.

Well then you better help her keep up her studies.

Thanks and I hope y'all have a good 2019 also :) Pgentile, I also am 56 and not-so-gainfully unemployed (ex-truck driver and printing business). So pretty much it has nowhere to go BUT up. They have me on disability but the way it is set up it seems like they want you to stay there. I can't make more than 1180 a month or they will take me off disability (and Medicare) altogether (and at that they take back 50% of what you make), and in order to make my nut I need to make almost 40k full time with benefits. I wouldn't advise it if anyone is considering it. End of rant, Happy 2019 :)

Good luck in 2019 @AlphaGrayWolf

Commiserations on your employment situation, pgentile. I wish you luck and good fortune in the next few months. May 2019 bring you better news than 2018 brought you as it ended.

Thanks @BernardSmith. I might hit you up for those beet wines recipes in the next few months.

Latest posts

Back