Hail damage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havlikn

Reaction score
We recently had hail come through and damage about 10% of each cluster. Some berries bruised, some broken open. I have since sprayed for rot to protect against anything spreading. The grapes are still hard and at least a week or two from verasion. Will these berries just dry up and fall off? Any other protections I should do other than watching for spreading and any bugs getting in. Currently nothing smells of vinegar and we have at least three days in a row of sunny days.

Had that happen on the average of about once every three years. This year, so far so good! The spot where they got hit will just heal a bit, but usually there will be seeds sticking out the wound, and a very small amount of juice in the grape. Unfortunately in the midwest, we have that happen all to often. I worry about my grapes everytime there comes up a boomer, and this year, it seems like every other day! Good luck with your grapes!

I had a hail event with green grapes. The shattered areas healed over and really didn't cause any obvious issues for me.

We had pea to marble sized hail one year...Chardonnay, Cab Franc and Merlot had some nicks and cuts but they healed over and by the time harvest all was good. No significant issues in the winery....

I've never had any issues with the wine, just makes an ugly berry, that won't make as much juice as normal. I must have had just a little bit off of one of the many boomers that have rolled through here this year, as I have found just a few damaged berries just the last few days.

Latest posts

Back