H2S sulfur smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a plum and berry DB that I started about 10 days ago. I've been following the standard steps that I've done a hundred times before. I checked it yesterday and everything was fine but I knew that that it would probably be done fermenting within a day or two.

So I went to take a hydrometer reading today and was hit by rotten egg smell. The reading showed that the wine was indeed done fermenting. I racked it multiple times with my AIO and treated it with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. When I tried the wine, it tasted as bad as it smelled.

As for why it happened, I have no idea. I used EC 1118 for yeast, it fermented at a pretty constant temp of 72-74 degrees and it showed no signs of a problem at any point before today. It fermented dry within 8 days.

I've read that racking will probably drive the smell out but what about the taste? Can that recover as well?

I have this issue with 5 gal of elderberry, it smelled great for 3 weeks in secondary . I went to rack it and was hit with the egg smell. I racked it twice in a week and degassed it ,1 week later it smells much better, with time I feel it will go away, my thinking is it sat on the fine lees long enough to absorb the dead yeast odor..

Latest posts

Back